SOLVED - CIFS: Can map one user/share but not a second to same FN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woops....yea i see now i missed the spaces between drive letter and \\ my bad, but im glad it shed some light on the issue....another interface on a different subnet would deff resolve that...it just sucks that might be the only way. Are you the only user who needs access to both? Could you possibly just add yourself to both datasets and just be done with it ?

I need to allow everyone to one dataset and only some to the second. Both are authenticated however.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The solution to your problem is to use permissions correctly. Creating a different subnet is not the correct solution.

The solution to your problem is to use permissions correctly. Creating a different subnet is not the correct solution.

Well, if you could expand on that instead of just saying we're not doing something right, it might help. I think most are willing to learn but sometimes it takes someone showing you, helping you instead of just telling you you're wrong.

Using cmd, I can mount both shares using different credentials but now I notice when I look at properties in windows that both shares are owned by the correct user/group now.

I have read/write access as I should so what is it that you think I am overlooking?

I explained every step I've taken along the way. If you see something missed, could you point it out? I understand Linux, I barely ever use Windows so am not really sure what I'm doing so help would certainly be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2015-08-23_081458.png
    2015-08-23_081458.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Everything seems to work, permissions, owners, etc.

The only part I am not clear on right now is the owner relationship between windows and FN.

I mean, even if I map two shares using two different users, it's still on one windows machine with one person logged in so the owner/group properties seem to be set and maintained on FN and not so much on the win machine.
As mentioned, I don't know enough about Windows to understand how things work when sharing using two different accounts.

When looking at properties, the files written are in fact being correctly set for owner/group.
So, I'm not sure where the permissions problem is that you are telling me I'm not understanding?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Each shared dataset has an owner. The owner sets the desired permissions in Windows' security dialog box.

Windows automatically attempts to log in with the current user's credentials, but the server credentials are completely separate from Windows' user accounts. Matching them is a simple convenience.

So, once mapped as the correct user, simply using the share keeps/sets the owner/group?
When I looked at permissions from the windows side, they were already set to what I have set on FN.
That's why I assumed that once set on FN and logged in as that user, the owner/group is always set by FN anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.