Two CIFS share user setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrrmsd

Dabbler
I'm not understanding.
I have a ZFS RaidZ2, I have two datasets 'Files1' and 'Files2', I have two CIFS shares for Files1 and Files2
I have two users 'User1' an 'User2'.

I want 'User1' to have full read write access to both Files1 and Files2
I want 'User2' to have read only access to Files1, but Read/Write access to Files2.

I don't understand how to do this.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
  1. Make user1 owner of both datasets.
  2. Set acl type to 'windows'
  3. Have user1 through windows client navigate to \\[hostname or IP address]
  4. Right-click on shares, click properties, then security.
  5. Add permissions for user2

gtrrmsd

Dabbler
It seems that restarting the CIFS service makes things work like it should as I change settings. It also seems Windows 7 just does what it wants with credentials. running "net /delete *" lets me log on with different usernames. I am setting permissions via windows now, looks OK. Guest access, that is windows 7 logging in with no password prompt, seems to have stopped working

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It seems that restarting the CIFS service makes things work like it should as I change settings. It also seems Windows 7 just does what it wants with credentials. running "net /delete *" lets me log on with different usernames. I am setting permissions via windows now, looks OK. Guest access, that is windows 7 logging in with no password prompt, seems to have stopped working
Changes made to smb4.conf file on server only propogate when CIFS restarts. That being said, freenas typically restarts CIFS whenever you apply changes through the GUI.
Windows only allows a user to authenticate to a server using a single set of credentials, which makes sense. Just give your user account the privileges you need.
For guest access you should create a guest user (ie 'guest'), map guests to that user, and set permissions

Eniac74

Dabbler
Similar problem, but slightly different. I have two users (user1+user2) and two datasets (dataset1+dataset2). User1 uses a mac and user2 a windows pc, so in order to facilitate the network, windows/CIFS has been chosen everywhere.

I want user1 to have have rwx permission on both datasets, but would like user2 to have read-only on dataset1 (not even see dataset2). I have read through a few guides now, but do not fully agree with the description of how things look in the GUI. More specifically the rwx options are greyed out for me as soon as I choose 'windows' under 'change permissions' (Storage->Volumes), see screen shot. As I am user1 and use a mac, I don't really fancy using a windows machine to fix this (which is my interpretation from the solution above).

Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 16.38.22.png

Status
Not open for further replies.