SMB issue only affecting Linux after upgrading from 11.1 to 11.3

mrripley

Cadet
I recently added some new storage to my NAS. During that I upgraded FreeNAS from 11.1-U5 to 11.3-U1. After the upgrade Linux servers that had SMB mounts to shares on my FreeNAS box were unable to write to them. I had the shares setup with Allow Guest Access and they had been working fine before the upgrade. From multiple Windows boxes I was still able to write to the shares. I tried recreating the shares, several attempts at modifying the fstab config but none of it helped. The only way I could get the Linux boxes to write to the shares was to enable Only Allow Guest Access.

Am I missing something here? Why would Windows be able to read/write to a share with Allow Guest Access but Linux can only read/write if I also enable Only Allow Guest Access?

Here's an example of an fstab entry that was working as expected prior to the upgrade:

Code:
//172.16.11.25/media /media/storage cifs vers=3.0,guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Before I file a bug report I wanted to make sure this wasn't the expected behavior.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I recently added some new storage to my NAS. During that I upgraded FreeNAS from 11.1-U5 to 11.3-U1. After the upgrade Linux servers that had SMB mounts to shares on my FreeNAS box were unable to write to them. I had the shares setup with Allow Guest Access and they had been working fine before the upgrade. From multiple Windows boxes I was still able to write to the shares. I tried recreating the shares, several attempts at modifying the fstab config but none of it helped. The only way I could get the Linux boxes to write to the shares was to enable Only Allow Guest Access.

Am I missing something here? Why would Windows be able to read/write to a share with Allow Guest Access but Linux can only read/write if I also enable Only Allow Guest Access?

Here's an example of an fstab entry that was working as expected prior to the upgrade:

Code:
//172.16.11.25/media /media/storage cifs vers=3.0,guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
Set log level to "normal" and then watch /var/log/samba4/log.smbd while trying to authenticate without "only allow guest access".

mrripley

Cadet
Trying touch fails with permission denied but no error in the log. Doing an mkdir give this in the log:

Code:
[2020/04/20 16:26:55.374747,  2] ../../source3/smbd/open.c:4056(open_directory)
  open_directory: unable to create test. Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED