SMART tests, how usefull are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekkie

Patron
I was looking at the smart tests that can be setup from the system tab and I was wondering if there is any value in running these?

And has anyone managed to create a short & long test for the same device? On my system I get an error message saying there is already a test for this device when I try to add a long test for a drive that has a short test already defined.

They can be extremely useful to identify drives that are close go failure. It can also do absolutely nothing to help.

As i remeber the short test still takes time,how long did you wait before trying the long test?

Tekkie

Patron
I haven't run any short tests yes, I have them scheduled on the 7/14/21 of each month, and wanted to have the long test on the 1 or 28 but Beta4 has a bug in a unique constraint on disk id for SMART tests which was recently fixed.

globus999

Contributor
I was looking at the smart tests that can be setup from the system tab and I was wondering if there is any value in running these?

And has anyone managed to create a short & long test for the same device? On my system I get an error message saying there is already a test for this device when I try to add a long test for a drive that has a short test already defined.

SMART Tests are pretty much useless unless the HDD is already failing.
The whole idea of SMART was that there would be some intelligence above the simple SMART data gathering that would actually -intelligently- analyze the data, something akin to a neural network. Fat chance. No such animal.

Yes, SMART parameters will tell you a lot of things, but, and this is a big but, they have almost no bearing on the life of the HDD, regardless of what the standard interpretation of those parameters may be.

For example, the fact that a HDD fails the spin-up parameter when starting up means bupkus. It may simply be that that hdd is slow for some reason. It may mean that the BIOS is screwy. It may mean that there is a false contact in the power connector. Or, that the power supply is failing or under powered. or... or... or... pick your excuse.

The only real SMART test that is useful is the one that will tell you if a hdd is dear or not so you may replace it asap. However, this functionality is mainly used in the industry where 24x7 requirements are common.

A second parameter is marginally useful: HDD temp. This comes in handy when building the system, but once passed this point, is pretty much meaningless.

Now, these are *average* uses. There will *always* be somebody, somewhere where his/her "derriere" was saved by a SMART test. Yes, statistical anomalies happen and are more common that what people believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.