SMART test not supported for NVME SSD or Bug?

John45622

Contributor
Hi all,

I've added an NVME SSD as cache vdev and setup smart testing but it doesn't kick off. Wenn I manually start a short test I get this:

1710701165726.png

AFAIK the SSD does support smart. Any idea why this doesn't work? It's a cheapo Fikwot FN950 I am testing to see what it does.

I'm on 23.10.2 and the NVME shows up correctly attached to the Z2 drive array on the storage page.

Thanks!

artlessknave

Wizard

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I'm on 23.10.2 and the NVME shows up correctly attached to the Z2 drive array on the storage page.
Depending on how exactly you did this, there may be risk for your data. Can you be more specific about the setup incl. all of your hardware?

John45622

Contributor
I've added my hardware details. The array is an 8-drive HDD Z2 raid and the NVME is added as L2ARC and shows up just fine and seems to be working. The only thing is this error being thrown up when trying to do a smart test for that NVME. To be honest, I expected little from a manufacturer called "Fikwot" but the NVME ran fine and smart tests fine directly attached to an "regular" PC and I added it to see what L2ARC does in my use-case. Also weird that TN GUI doesn't just say "smart not supported" or anything but instead gives that error message that looks more like an error of the middleware itself? Not sure.

Oh and with regards to forum rules: I've searched for the error before posting an only found a message from 2021 with no response.

Last edited:

John45622

Contributor
Found something. When I go to the disk menu and try to do a manual test there I get this:

1710754006869.png

The error I got initially when kicking of a manual test was from the periodic smart test menu so I guess the GUI doesn't handle it well from there. I'll do some digging why this NVME does smart test from a normal PC but not inside TN.

Last edited:

John45622

Contributor
I've now run a smart test from the shell on that NVME and it worked fine. I can also list smart status from the shell wo I assume the device itself supports smart even on TN.