Slow windows file search CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dellsmash

Cadet
Hello, I have only one problem using freeNAS and that is fairly slow search results when using windows file explorer to search for files which is extremely important in my environment. Current hardware is:

MainBoard - Supermicro N82E16813182830
Processor - Intel Xeon E3-1220V3
RAM - 16G of Crucial Model BLS2K4G3D169DS3
Enclosure - Norco RPC 2212
ZFS - 1 Z3 volume across 10 seagate 2TB drives

I am accessing the nas with clients running windows 7 x64 and am seeing very good results writing to and reading from the nas. I am not suffering from slow directory listings however I do not have hundreds or thousands of directories that need to load at once within 1 folder as mentioned in previous posts, I simply have 80G worth of data and 170k+ files in various nested folders. I have tried to index files on the windows clients with no luck after days of research and testing, simple fact is m$ is completely out of touch with corporate environments. I have turned on and off every combination of settings for freeNAS I could find in the forums ie. dos attributes, autotune, logging, various other cifs settings.

The only suspecious thing I see while doing a file search from a client windows desktop is very low disk activity both read and write to all of the disks, were talking 600k to 1.5M here and it does that for a very long time upwards of 10-15 minutes on most searches. When doing file transfers both too and from the nas the disk activity increases as expected to saturate the 1Gig-E network.

If anyone has experience with this problem please help as I am unsure if this is normal for file search activity over cifs or if there is a workaround by throwing a cache disk or some other solution at it. my options are looking bad and they all lead back to m$ using some disk-pool / flexRaid alternative that allows the windows clients to index the mapped drive.

Durandal

Explorer
Have you tried iSCSI? It's alot better protocol for your type of data usage, as long as several users is not using the data.

Dellsmash

Cadet
I did set up an iSCSI test and the performance was good however, I have 18+ clients desktops that will need to access the same files, some information says that is fine with multiple targets but others say dont do it due to corruption issues. I have the resources to offload the iSCSI mapping to a windows server and map the clients to it but this just creates two points of failure and two servers to maintain. I see no advantage over just setting up the windows server to handle the storage locally on the nas with this scenario. I investigated running freeNAS in a VM on the nas with windows server but that two seemed to be a bad idea, lets be honest windows using the resources by itself always ends in a reboot after a couple of months, I certainly dont want to ask it to handle the load of another OS.

mattiii

Cadet
I have the same issue. Did you found a solution for your problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.