Slow transfer when using third party copy handler

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakefox

Cadet
I normally use Directory Opus (which uses it's own copy handler) instead of Windows Explorer and get horribly slow filetransfers when I do so. When transferring from Windows 7 to FreeNAS it's ok (23 MB/s) but the other way I only get 2 MB/s. Same result when copying internally in the NAS (2 MB/s). I have also tried other copy handlers like TeraCopy, Copy Handler and Total Copy. Same result!

Directory Opus etc:
Win7 --> FreeNAS = 23 MB/s
FreeNAS --> Win7 = 2 MB/s
FreeNAS --> FreeNAS = 2 MB/s

But if I use Windows Explorer it's all fine and dandy:
Win7 --> FreeNAS = 30 MB/s
FreeNAS --> Win7 = 30 MB/s
FreeNAS --> FreeNAS = 20 MB/s

Any explanation to this? And is there a fix, or am I stuck with Windows Explorer when dealing with FreeNAS?

I've tried with both my workstation (Windows 7 x64) and my laptop (Windows 7 x86), using latest FreeNAS 8.0.3. I haven't included any hardware specs as this seems to be a software problem, but please let me know if you need them anyway.

b1ghen

Contributor
This post just blew my mind, I have had some diminishing results regarding transfer speeds over samba, disabled teracopy as the default copy handler and I more than doubled my throughput! (from 30MB/s to 65+MB/s), I thought my slowdowns were because my pool was starting to get full but it seems it's the third party copy handler.

It would be nice to have both speed and the added functionality of a better copy handler than windows built in.

fakefox

Cadet
My problem was apparently hardware related. After I upgraded the motherboard in my NAS i never experienced this problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.