100MiB/s in from Ethernet interface but only 50MiB/s actual copy speed

hwserver

Cadet
Spec: amd 2200g + 8g ddr4 2400 + MSI A320M MB (with 1 Gpbs Ethernet) + 64g usb 3.0 boot drive + single 8T HGST HC320 drive (work as stripe)

I just got my setup working the yesterday and started to copy backup files into this system but found out the copying speed is not ideal. I'm copying from a same 8T HC320 drive with my win7 laptop to Freenas but only gets 45-55 MiB/s which is odd. Usually i get 110MiB/s from/to my Qnap/Win10 machine. When i checked my Freenas dashboard, i found that my Ehernet IO is at full speed 100-110MiB/s and Ram is maxed out only 0.2 GiB free.
So, can someone help me with this problem. Is it my Ram is not enough or i didn't setup my freenas right or it's normal?

subhuman

Contributor
When you have a system that barely meets minimum specs, don't expect good performance.

hwserver

Cadet
When you have a system that barely meets minimum specs, don't expect good performance.
yeah, 32gb ram is on its way. cpu doesn't seem to be too bad. Still don't know where do all the bits go, i mean 100MB in but only 50MB is written on the drive

subhuman

Contributor
As a consumer board, it's quite likely the NIC is RealTek- which is definitely not recommended for FreeNAS, and if that's the case just be glad it works at any speed.
More memory is kinda a step in the right direction, but it's still not ECC which can come back to bite you in the ass down the road.
You commonly see Supermicro boards with a Xeon E3-1220v2 and 24-32GB ECC RAM on eBay in the $125 range. For compute performance, they're similar to your 2200G, and in just about every way imaginable they're much more suited to a server. I don't know what you're paying for your RAM, but it's probably around that much, or more.
Ultimately, what you choose to do is of course your decision to make. But there are other options out there that are better suited for the job, and you don't have to break the bank in the process.
A single drive does not provide redundancy.
USB attached drives aren't really recommended either.

You have a collection of hardware which may be fine for playing around with FreeNAS and learning with. But don't expect best performance or anywhere near best reliability out of it. If you want to play around, have at it. But just don't set unreasonably high expectations of either performance or data integrity.

Last edited: