Slow Transfer Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panjo

Cadet
Hey all,

I'm very very new to FreeNAS, and have just setup a small home FreeNAS to share files and run backups for my family.

Its running off:
Build FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Platform Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz
Memory 8114MB
EDIT: and 2x 2TB WD Red drives in RAID 0

Now the transfer speeds between files within the NAS, as well as coming out of it are incredibly slow. 5-6MB/s

Even moving files to the NAS from computers over the windows share is slow, but better, at about 10 MB/s

This seems really really slow

Network speed is coming up as 450Mb/s (56MB/s) and there is no change if connecting over Ethernet vs wireless.

ethereal

Guru
there is no such thing as raid 0 in freenas

garm

Wizard
You need to specify hardware and the tests you run.

“Internal” file transfer for instance, if you do that on a client over SMB and your network speed is 100 Mbps then you would see “speeds” of around half (you first download what’s to be transferred).

And it sounds like you have 100 Mbps Ethernet.

And don’t run striped pools, you will lose data that way..

Panjo

Cadet
You need to specify hardware and the tests you run.

“Internal” file transfer for instance, if you do that on a client over SMB and your network speed is 100 Mbps then you would see “speeds” of around half (you first download what’s to be transferred).

And it sounds like you have 100 Mbps Ethernet.

And don’t run striped pools, you will lose data that way..

Thank you, I think what i needed to understand that even though it was internal, it was still possibly bottle necked by the network.

And I am well aware of the risks of running striped. It is a simple home server with no crucial data on it, more kind of setup as a little project for myself. The combination of ECC memory and Red drives is enough of a safety net for me.

Once i can afford more drives and afford to have half that drive capacity unusable, I will configure a safer array.

Panjo

Cadet
So i had a look at my network setup

i had to have a weird setup with modems to get my NBN to work with our phone lines (in Australia)

Essentially it is WAN (NBN box)
to ISP provided Gatway (with WiFi disabled, and only one gigabit port) (this is where the phone had to be connected)
to Ac68U set-up as an AP (can't access it's settings, was years ago i set all this up and ive forgotten it's IP)

The single gigabit port is taken up by the AP. If i plug the NAS into the AP, i can't access the NAS.

Tomorrow i will plug the NAS into the AP, with a screen attached so I can see if rebooting the NAS will work / see what new IP is being given to the NAS

Panjo

Cadet
Reconfigured the network to utilize only gigabit ports. speeds have doubled but still not super fast (12MB/s max)

I'm going to buy some cat6 cables to make sure im running everything at full speed (currently using ISP provided ones and am not sure of their rating)

Status
Not open for further replies.