Slow Transfer Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNAS

Dabbler
Hi there

I am experiencing slow read/write speeds to and from my NAS. I am getting max speeds of 30 mb/s of both small and large files.

I have a Dell Power Edge
-Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2407 v2 @ 2.40GHz
-32GB ECC memmor
- 6 x 8TB Seagate Enterprise HDDs (Raid6)

I have switched ethernet cables and tested all cables. All check out fine.

I'm a bit of a noob and a bit stumped. Attached is my debug report.

Please help!

Thank you

Alex

Attachments

• debug-AlexNAS-20160619202111.tgz
    387.5 KB · Views: 240

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
You're using Seagate Archive HDDs with atime enabled. This is known to cause performance problems due to the way SMR works. Even after you turn atime off, expect relatively poor write performance with those drives.

Your pool is over 80% full and 35% fragmented, which may also lead to performance problems. You might also be short of RAM for your pool size, depending on how it's used.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What disk controller are you using?

AlexNAS

Dabbler
Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies.

So I've done some more troubleshooting on the advice a friend of mine gave who set the NAS up.

My PC has a realtek NIC family controller. And my Dell Laptop uses and INTEL NIC.

The Dell gets 100+mb/s read speed (havent tested write speed its not so important, the server is purely a plex server and when people want media i hate having to sit around while the copy tortoises along)

Is there anything else it could be that is causing my PC to copy so slow? Beside being the Realtec NIC?

AlexNAS

Dabbler
I have also turned off atime, also for my jails (plex) will this cause issues for plex?

russnas

Contributor
See links, esp the freenas thread

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/seagate-8tb-archive-drive-in-freenas.27740/

If you are using archive drives then the speeds you are getting are expected as they are not general purpose drives, smr (shingled mangetic recording), being used mostly read only, not intended in a raid due to sustained writes and rebuilding could take twice as long, speeds drop after the cache is filled (roughly 20gb) as it needs to write it to shingled platter.

Last edited:

AlexNAS

Dabbler
See links, esp the freenas thread

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/seagate-8tb-archive-drive-in-freenas.27740/

If you are using archive drives then the speeds you are getting are expected as they are not general purpose drives, smr (shingled mangetic recording), being used mostly read only, not advised in a raid with sustained writes and rebuilding could take twice as long as expected, speeds drop after the cache is filled as it needs to write it to shingled platter.
I'm on the move at the moment. But then surely they are perfect for a purely plex server as it is basically read only. Write ever now and then when new media is acquired.

The issue is when a friend wants to get media off my server. On my PC with a realtek nic I get 20 to 30 mbps copy speed. On my laptop I get 100mbps. That is my main issue here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
On my PC with a realtek nic I get 20 to 30 mbps copy speed.
Then I would surmise that the issue lies with the RealTek NIC.
  • Check to see if this NIC is 1GB (Might just be 10/100...)
  • Check for updated drivers
  • Replace it with an Intel NIC (RealTek NICs have been known to be "less than desirable")

russnas

Contributor
I'm on the move at the moment. But then surely they are perfect for a purely plex server as it is basically read only. Write ever now and then when new media is acquired.

The issue is when a friend wants to get media off my server. On my PC with a realtek nic I get 20 to 30 mbps copy speed. On my laptop I get 100mbps. That is my main issue here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

im sorry about that, i went through the exact same thing with my setup and got a intel NIC for the desktop, i've had 110MB right down to 300kb/s to thousands of failed transfers, you really waste hours trying to work with Realtek

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm seeing a bunch of these in your log.smbd file.
Code:
[2016/06/17 17:43:07.060857,  1] ../source3/smbd/service.c:552(make_connection_snum)
  create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

You might have some underlying permissions issues.

You've configured your samba share with the following path:
Code:
[Alex]
    path = /mnt/Alex

This means you are sharing your entire pool via samba, which isn't generally recommended. I think it'd be better to create a dataset (for instance, /mnt/Alex/Samba) and share that. Make sure that permissions type is set to "windows".

BUT since your pool is already very full, I don't think restructuring things is an option at this point. Note that ZFS performance significantly degrades when your pool is more than 80% full.

It sounds like you might have a problem with your desktop client. Maybe temporarily disable security software (and firewalls) and test again. Also try an intel NIC if you have one available.

Status
Not open for further replies.