Slow transfer speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa

Explorer
I don't understand. I used the iperf client linked to in the guide and that was apparently not good enough so I don't get it...

Poppa

Explorer
Everything is set to default.

iperf.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So you have some Network bottleneck. How does your network layout look like? Switch, Ethernet cables, client specs? Can you direct connect your two systems. No switch and a single Ethernet cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Poppa

Explorer
Normally the FreeNAS server is connected to my PC via a D-Link DIR-855L router using standard Ethernet cables. I have tried switching out cables with no difference. I have also tried connecting my FreeNAS server directly to my PC with no difference in speed.

My servers specs.
Motherboard - Supermicro X8DTH-IF
CPU - Xeon E5520
RAM - 24GB

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Normally the FreeNAS server is connected to my PC via a D-Link DIR-855L router using standard Ethernet cables. I have tried switching out cables with no difference. I have also tried connecting my FreeNAS server directly to my PC with no difference in speed.

My servers specs.
CPU - Xeon E5520
RAM - 24GB
Then your client has a terrible network card. Can you run the iperf test going the other direction?

Poppa

Explorer
Can you run the iperf test going the other direction?

Can you clarify this? Do you want to to connect my server directly to my PC and run the test? I can't see how that would give me different results considering my transfer speed is the same either way.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you clarify this? Do you want to to connect my server directly to my PC and run the test? I can't see how that would give me different results considering my transfer speed is the same either way.
I want you to try and connect your server directly to FreeNAS. Then run iperf as the server on bother FreeNAS and your Windows client. So you can test both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa

Explorer
I have a hard time understanding what you are saying. Ignoring the grammatical mistakes in your responses, You need to explain what you want me to do in a step by step way as if I am an idiot which I am when it comes to Linux, BSD and CLI's.

In any case, I ran another test and have thus proven that these issues are without a doubt the fault of FreeNAS and not my server or network hardware.

What I did was...

I swapped out the OS drive that has FreeNAS on it for another that has OpenMediaVault installed on it. Imported my pool and created an SMB share and copied some files over to my server. I was getting sustained speeds of 110-115MB/s transfer speed which is a lot better than the 30MB/s I was getting from FreeNAS.

So now that we know FreeNAS is the issue, how do we solve it?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-9744-07-24-14h36m51s985.png
    vlcsnap-9744-07-24-14h36m51s985.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 521

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your hardware is pretty straight forward and lots of people use it to get gigabit speeds under FreeNAS. I suspect there is something you are not telling us. Did you use auto tune or set any special tunables? Try a fresh install of FreeNAS.

diedrichg

Wizard
You mentioned importing the pool into OMV. I had to research such actions and learned that this is accomplished through a OMV ZFS plugin. Clearly the plugin works so this raised the question; Which came first? The chicken, or the egg? Was the pool originally created in FreeNAS or OMV ZFS plugin? Which version of OMV and FreeNAS, please? As an aside, what made you think to try OMV with the plugin (just curious)?

Last edited:

Poppa

Explorer
I created the pool in FreeNAS 9.2 then then imported it into OMV 3.

I was tired of messing around with iperf and I thought that the only way to really know if I have bad hardware or if FreeNAS is bad is to use a different OS so I put in the drive that had OMV on it, booted up the server and copied over some files. After seeing it work, I knew FreeNAS had to be the culprit.

Now if only one of the experts here can help me figure out why FreeNAS is bottlenecking my connection...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I created the pool in FreeNAS 9.2 then then imported it into OMV 3.

I was tired of messing around with iperf and I thought that the only way to really know if I have bad hardware or if FreeNAS is bad is to use a different OS so I put in the drive that had OMV on it, booted up the server and copied over some files. After seeing it work, I knew FreeNAS had to be the culprit.

Now if only one of the experts here can help me figure out why FreeNAS is bottlenecking my connection...
You have stopped taking advice so no one is helping you.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I am getting very slow transfer speeds to my FreeNAS server. I was getting speeds of 11-12MB/s so I bypassed the switch it was on and connected it to my router and got speeds of around 29MB/s which is still way to slow. My router is new and even on my old router, I was able to transfer files between my PC and my Norco server at over 200MB/s.

I know so little about networking that I can't even begin to think of what the issue is.

CPU - Xeon E5520
RAM - 24GB
Router - D-Link DIR-855L
In your original post how did you get 200MB/s? That is impossible unless your have 10gbit networking.

Your problem is difficult because your understanding and descriptions are not good enough yet to get help. You show iperf results that are normal. But you also say you had 200MB/s which is impossible and you also have 12MB/s. You need to narrow it down and make your problem simpler.

Poppa

Explorer
You have stopped taking advice so no one is helping you.

What are you taking about?

In your original post how did you get 200MB/s? That is impossible unless your have 10gbit networking.

Your problem is difficult because your understanding and descriptions are not good enough yet to get help. You show iperf results that are normal. But you also say you had 200MB/s which is impossible and you also have 12MB/s. You need to narrow it down and make your problem simpler.

In the past, I would sometimes get initial speeds of 200MB/s and then it drops down. It does not stay like that and isn't the norm. Perhaps the Windows file transfer window was showing a speed that was higher than it really was.

My understanding is mostly fines and I believe I have given as much detail as has been asked for.

I will state this one last time. When I run a different OS on the same server like OMV(Debian), I get the speeds I should be getting but when I use FreeNAS, my speeds top out at about 30MB/s. FreeNAS is clearly the issue. I will try a fresh install tomorrow.

gpsguy

What version of FreeNAS have you been using? I re-read the thread and the only version that you mentioned was creating the pool with FreeNAS 9.2.

If you are still on one of the 9.2.1.x versions , you should try a newer version like 9.10.x or 11.0. There were a lot of problems with the 9.2.1.x series.

Poppa

Explorer
I used FreeNAS 9.2 to create a ZFS pool that would be compatible with OMV, something to do with feature flags, and once I had my pool set up, I updated FreeNAS to version 11 and that is what I am currently using.

Poppa

Explorer
So I finally got my lazy ass around to doing a clean install and everything seems to be working fine now. I copied over some files and it started at about 115MB/s and then fell to 104-106MB/s for most of the transfer and then started to decline to 86.7MB/s by the end. It is much better than before but it seems FreeNAS has a hard time keeping it up. ;) It would be nice if it could consistently saturate my connection.

I just ordered a 40Gbe switch and got some of the Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gbe cards and I may get two of the X-3 40Gbe cards. So I will see soon enough if FreeNAS can saturate faster connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.