File Copy Over Network Slow Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

brazz04

Cadet
I completed my first FreeNAS build yesterday and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the slow transfers to my FreeNAS drive from my computer. I just switched from a synology to this build and my transfer rates when from my mac to the FreeNAS hover between 10-20mbps whether I'm hard wired through the router or I'm on wifi. When moving files to the synology previously, I could get about 10-20mbps over wifi, but if I was hard wired to the router, I was getting nearly 100mbps. My build is a cheap one using a Supermicro X8SIL board, Xeon X3450, 8GB Ram, an SSD for the OS and an 8TB drive for the storage. This should give me a gigabit ethernet connection so I should be seeing higher speeds correct? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jello

Cadet
If you type ifconfig in the shell, you can see what speed your adapter is running at. Here is a sample of what it looks like. If it says 1000baseT then it's running at gigabit. You can also try to ftp files and see what your speed is then. You won't get any responses if you don't supply more info and what you tried.

Code:
ix1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
		options=e407bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		ether a0:36:9f:1a:57:f6
		hwaddr a0:36:9f:1a:57:f6
		inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 192.168.0.3
		nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
		media: Ethernet autoselect (10Gbase-T <full-duplex,rxpause,txpause>)

KrisBee

Wizard
People will want to know if your'e using a wired gigabit ethernet connection now and how your are transferring the data between you're PC and FreeNAS server. Have you set up a windows share on FreeNAS for example, or are you using another method? They will also want to know something about the data your are transferring, for example is it a collection of many small files with subfolders, or a small number of large files? Transferring lots of small files could be slow.

Google for the command iperf in order to test the basic speed of your network connection between your PC and FreeNAs server. Is it operating near to the one gigabit max?

Your supermicro X8SIL is a few generations old now, but it has quality Intel NICs which should give decent results if correctly configured. But you're not really going to benefit from using FreeNAs until you have a least two HDDs in a mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.