FreeNAS - check my speeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironfelix717

Dabbler
Hi,

Just built my first NAS...I am curious as to whether I am experiencing typical speeds of my configuration and network. Right now, its painful, as I am in the process of transferring all my files to the NAS via wifi...

Here is my setup:
-2.4GHZ wifi
-FreeNAS box connected directly to router via Cat 6 ~25 feet from router
-Client machine unable to receive wired connected, as its 1.5 stories away from NAS and has no feasible opportunities for wired connection.
-Client machine reports wifi speeds using online Xfinity test of ~22mbps/upload , 6mpbs download

Attempting to transfer 40GB of data to NAS box. Box reports the attached speeds/reports - I'm the only client on the network right now.

Im just curious if anyone can tell me if my speeds are normal, whether they suck or not, and any other tips that are applicable to improving my network.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 12.36.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 12.36.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 12.37.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 12.37.28 PM.png

Thank you

joeschmuck

Old Man
Based on the data in your posting your FreeNAS machine is doing fine. As you noted, WiFi is not a great way to conduict fast transfers. You could make these faster if you had 5 GHz WiFi and enabled 80 MHz bandwidth, and had a radio on both ends capable of 800 Mbps or better. My system can go up to 1.3 Gbps via WiFi but it rarely will go much beyond 900 Mbps.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
As you have discovered this is going to be a lesson in futility. Find a way, any way, to get that client on a wired connection at least until the data transfer is complete.

ironfelix717

Dabbler
Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. Good to know everything is in working order... Not having a wired connection for my client is terrible.

Thanks for the tips also.

Regards

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Realtek nic and WiFi.... You should be happy it even works. Anything more than that is just a bonus.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My system can go up to 1.3 Gbps via WiFi but it rarely will go much beyond 900 Mbps.
What, in a Faraday cage, 2m away and with coax running between AP and client?

joeschmuck

Old Man
What, in a Faraday cage, 2m away and with coax running between AP and client?
What it's rated for and what I can actually get it to are of course two different things. @900 Mbps I have to have the laptop in a certain orientation and I'd say I'm about 30' from the AP and one wooden/drywall between me and it. Most of the time in this location I'm connected at just over 800 Mbps. I bough a USB to Ethernet adapter and have only used it one time, turns out the WiFi is marginally slower. Now if I take my laptop to my bedroom to use it then my speed drops, I've added a few more walls, and in my computer room it's slower because I've added some walls and appliances between me and the AP. Just the other day I backed up my laptop and it took 32 minutes 12 seconds for a 39,109,666 KB file, using Acronis to create this file on my FreeNAS server. I just started the backup and set the laptop on it's side on the livingroom carpet and went to bed. The next morning it was done. So how fast is that?

Time to open Christmas gifts!

Status
Not open for further replies.