Slow transfer speeds... with admittedly janky setup.

dMailonG

Cadet
Hi, thanks for taking your time to read this.
Firstly, I'd like to make it clear I'm in no manner, shape, way or form a professional with regards to FreeNAS, and that the following setup is being used both as an educational experiment for myself and a way to repurpose old hardware I have lying around. Also, English is not my first language.
Now, with these points out of the way:

CPU: AMD Sempron 145 (single-core, AM3)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (will buy another stick soon)
MOBO: Asus M4A78LT-M LX (has integrated GbE)
PSU: Generic, 250W
HDDs:
Code:
Boot Pool [mirrored]:
WD WMAV2JV33424 (ada0) [3.5"]
298.09 GiB
WD WCAT19671455 (ada1) [3.5"]
298.09 GiB

main [mirrored]:
WD 719ST0B5T (ada2) [2.5"]
465.76 GiB
Hitachi Z2AFA6R6 (ada3) [3.5"] {4 checksums}
465.76 GiB

- When writing to the "main" pool through a 2m CAT6 cable connected directly from my computer's GbE port (origin is a WD Green 1TB HDD), I get oscillating speeds (0 to ~58 MiB/s) at the beginning, followed by a more stable rate (38 - 58 MiB/s).
- This is despite the single-core processor never reaching even 50% utilization, and the network's (still underwhelming) ~330 Mbps link, according to iperf/Jperf.
- No resilvering is ocurrying during these tests.
- The files in question vary in size.
- I suspect the bridged/shared connection is not ideal, although in the dashboard it says "1000baseT".
- What I hope to achieve is a transfer speed of ~100 MiB/s, which should not be a problem, considering the speed of these indivudual disks and of the ethernet link.

What am I doing wrong? (A lot, I suspect lol).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fredda

Guru
I think the NIC is most likely the problem. Your mainboard has a Realtek NIC. The FreeBSD driver for these NICs is known to have a very bad performance. Also the 4GB RAM might not be too good.