Slow transfer CIF and AFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidK

Dabbler
Hi,

New to FreeNas just got my system setup
image.tiff

I have 4 drives setup just to test the system, 2 1TB set a mirror and a 1.5TB & 750GB drive.

The system has a GB ethernet card, I have checked with ifconfig and it is active. The connection form the computer to the switch shows the 1GB connection. When I check iperf I am only getting 10MB rate. From the switch to the router it looks like it drops to 100MBS, may be length of CAT5. What I am seeing in my transfer speeds from a number of different computers is at best 1mb and more in the 3-500K range.

I have been reading through the threads on similar issues and have not found anything that has helped. I am pretty new to this so I may have missed something obvioius, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• FreeNas System.png
    FreeNas System.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 245

gpsguy

Since you mention it, how long is your network cable. If it's over 100 meters, you could add a gigabit switch between the 2 segments. Are the "different computers" connecting via a wired (preferably gigabit) connection or wirelessly. If the latter, that would account for terrible performance.

DavidK

Dabbler
I don't think it is over 100m, it may be 50-75, I will need to do some checking. The computers I have been using to test both are wired, I think 1 has a gigabit connection, but in both cases I only get max about 1mbs.

gpsguy

Can you move them closer together and swap cables for testing? Perhaps you have a rodent munching on the cable. o_O

DavidK

Dabbler
Pinot sure about the rodents. But I can move the box back into the office and hook it directly to the router. My recollection is that the speed was the same as that is where it was
when I set it up.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, you need schooled bro...

MB = megabyte

Mb = megabit

If you don't understand the relationship stop and Google them. The distinction is VERY IMPORTANT.

As such, there is no such thing as 1GB or 100MB for LAN speeds. There is 1Gb and 100Mb though.

The system has a GB ethernet card, I have checked with ifconfig and it is active. The connection form the computer to the switch shows the 1GB connection. When I check iperf I am only getting 10MB rate. From the switch to the router it looks like it drops to 100MBS, may be length of CAT5. What I am seeing in my transfer speeds from a number of different computers is at best 1mb and more in the 3-500K range.

I have been reading through the threads on similar issues and have not found anything that has helped. I am pretty new to this so I may have missed something obvioius, any suggestions would be appreciated.

So now reread your quote and see your errors.

100Mb will max out at about 10MB. So guess what, you likely have a 100Mb link somewhere. Now you need to go find it though.

DavidK

Dabbler
Thanks for the info. I had the right intent the wrong capitalization. If a 100Mb connection maxs out at 10mb I still have to figure out why I can only get max of around 1Mb. Both the 2 switches and the router indicate that all the connections are at least 100Mb.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If a 100Mb connection maxs out at 10mb I still have to figure out why I can only get max of around 1Mb.

You got it wrong again.. there is no such thing as 10mb. M = mega, b = bit, B = byte. There is no lower case 'm'.

But anyway, you actually gave away the answer to your problems with your picture. See those load averages in your first post? They're all over 4.0. That means your measly CPU can't keep up with your workload. So a new CPU is in order. That CPU definitely isn't on my "recommended" list strictly because of its low performance. ;)

Load average is a number representing the amount of load your CPU has to deal with. If it is 1.0 that means the equivalent loading of 1 whole core/thread. If it was 3.25 that means that roughly 3.25 "cores" are in use. Your system has 4 cores, and your numbers are over 4! So your CPU is basically at 100% usage and has been for quite some time.

Just for comparison, my load values are 0.05, 0.08, and 0.11.

DavidK

Dabbler
I'll keep trying to get the capitalization right. Thanks for the load info, I'll see what other CPU options I have. Since I am not using the NAS very much at this point is the load I am seeing just "overhead" or can I determine what is causing the usage?

Just rebooted and got the following, still on the higher side I guess?
Load Average 0.08, 0.34, 0.20

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's MUCH better than what you had. That's what I'd expect for an idle system.

To determine what is causing CPU usage there's a CLI program called "top". Google it and read up how to use it to check CPU usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.