Slow SAMBA When Moving large amount of files locally...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
you think it makes sense to go with 10Gb only to the switch? am I correct in my understanding that this would allow me to saturate 9-10 connections(assuming the NAS can provide that much data) at 1Gb speeds? and if so is network bridging still a viable tech? (i think thats the right name) like would running 2x1Gb to a single computer allow me to get 2Gb speeds?
It is correct that a 10GB link (server to switch) should allow 9 clients to fully utilize a 1GB link to the server, as long as the server can keep up.
You can also (with a 2 port card) make 2 connections server to switch using LAG (link aggregation) which would allow even more clients to have full 1GB speed connectivity to the server. Probably not needed, but that would also need the server to be even faster.
There has been some success with connecting two 1GB ports desktop to switch and here is a guide that was written about that.

Setting up SMB 3 multichannel on FreeNAS
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/setting-up-smb-3-multichannel-on-freenas.76/
currently we are not terribly unhappy with the performance we get with Gb speeds and given that the server only has a single 1Gb connection to the switch I can currently give 9-10 people 100Mb speeds(yes?)
yes.
so having the NAS connect to the switch at 10Gb effectively gives us 10x the performance(assuming everyone is trying to pull data all at once) than we have now?
Absolutely, as long as the NAS is fast enough. The disk pool must be wide enough to support the bandwidth. For easy math, figure each disk is good for 60 to 80 Mb/s (because of overhead and other factors) and redundancy disks don't count.
also in tjhe new office we will all be working off the same High quality managed switch currently we are in many different buildings and as this system has slowly been upgraded from a 2 man home operation most of our hardware is consumer level $100 routers right now so I have to assume switching to proper hardware is going to give us a huge bump in latency
It will make it so much faster. I bought a Cisco 24 port switch for home a few years ago because I got fed up with the crap consumer grade switch that I had been using. It is so much better, it really is like the difference between night and day.

Dreded

Explorer
It will make it so much faster. I bought a Cisco 24 port switch for home a few years ago because I got fed up with the crap consumer grade switch that I had been using. It is so much better, it really is like the difference between night and day.
yeah our main 24-port switch is a Airlink managed switch... so kinda mid grade(prosumer?) it will be nice switching up to proper managed switch and having all the computers close enough to one another to be plugged into the same switch... the building my main desk is in right now has 2000' of Cat5 between my craptacular airlink router(used as a switch but to add wifi to this building) and that 24 port switch... the longest run in the new place will be 100', I cant wait lol

given all this info the more I think about it the more I think 10Gb to the switch makes a ton of sense but 10Gb to the computers would be next to useless(overkill) for the cad guys I can put super fast SSD's in their computer for the cache(scratch) drive and they only need to open and save the file over the network so as long as they can each get 100MB/s it will be faster/just as fast as working off of file locally

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.