Slow Read speed from LACP

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

Cadet
Hey all,

I recently installed a two port Intel network card into my FreeNas box to add LACP functionality.
I set up lagg0 in the webgui and then setup the Port trunking on my switch (DGS-1210-24).
I was able to access the webui for FreeNas and Write files to it as similar speeds to my single NIC connection (exactly as I expected) but the main problem happened when I tried to read from the server.
My read speeds (tested on multiple clients) were around 1 MB/s or less.
I have read through the LACP primer that is stickied and I have gone through the docs and made sure it was all set up properly.
I was hoping that someone might have some insight into why the Write speeds would be fine but the Read speeds would be so low.

Thanks

Specs:
Lenovo TS140
16gb ECC UDimm
i3-4130
6x4TB Raid Z2
Intel PCI-e Network Adapter

You have a misconfiguration somewhere. LACP isn't as straightforward as it should be.

Are you sure you will benefit from the extra complexity of LACP? It may be best if you go back to the original, single-path configuration.

How many clients will be simultaneously accessing data from FreeNAS at a time? Are you already maxing-out a single gigabit link?

Cheers,
Matt

masteroc

Cadet
Hey Matt,

Any advice where I should start looking for the misconfiguration? I am stepping out soon but I can provide logs from FREENAS or screenshots of my switch interface if that helps.

I do think I will end up benefiting from LACP in certain circumstances. I will normally have a light load on the NAS but for the 10% of times where I will have 3-5 clients all pulling a large amount of data off the NAS I would like to have LACP.

I have read the previous threads stating that there is a chance that the requests will all line up on a single NIC but they'd do that anyway (with a single NIC solution) so why not have a 30-50% chance that they will be distributed to an open NIC on the LACP?

Thanks!

First thing I'd do is eliminate the disks in testing. Use iperf to measure the raw network performance without involving the storage subsystem. Let's make sure we really have a network problem.

If you really have a network problem, I'd unplug all cables, delete the LACP group from FreeNAS and delete the LACP group from the switch. Then I'd reboot both. Finally, I'd build the LACP group in the switch then plug in the cables then build the LACP group in FreeNAS.

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.