Should I reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balanga

Patron
It looks as though FreeNAS's web server and samba server have both crashed.

Should I just reboot and hope that whatever problems occurred simply disappear or is it worth trying to establish the cause?

I do have access via ssh...

Noctris

Contributor
Try to restart django. That should get your web ui back so you can check what went wrong before you reboot.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

balanga

Patron
Thanks for that... the web gui is back now.

I'm not sure how to restart samba though.

'service smbd restart' doesn't seem to work.

Noctris

Contributor
You can do that trough the webinterface by restarting cifs. I would try to check the messages log to see why samba failed too

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

balanga

Patron
Something is very wrong.... on the operators console, VT0, there is a syslog-ng (core dumped) error msg every few seconds. No idea here to look to see what is causing this.

Noctris

Contributor
can you copy paste the message so there is something to look at ? :smile:

balanga

Patron
Something is very wrong.... on the operators console, VT0, there is a syslog-ng (core dumped) error msg every few seconds. No idea here to look to see what is causing this.

There isn't really much to see.... Every second a msg pops up with:-

pid xxxx (syslog-ng), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

Not sure where to look for further information...

Noctris

Contributor
Are you logging to a remote syslog server ?

mjws00

Guru
A couple more thoughts. You have previous posts about adding MC to the root system, so of course I'm wondering what has been touched or modified.

Your system is not usable, so the chances of getting out without a shutdown are small. I would copy the config (which may or may not be damaged) somewhere safe. It is located at /data/freenas-v1.db. I would export my pool. Then shutdown gracefully. Now there are two choices: You can reboot and see if it was a 'glitch' and things work normally. Or you can set your existing boot devices aside, and install clean. Now you have a good fall back position. You also have a system where you can import the pool, possibly the config, and either troubleshoot or just reconfigure depending on skill sets. Since we set the existing system aside, you can always plug in and go back to 'broken' should you choose to.

Noctris

Contributor
/var/log/messages

but since web ui, syslog and samba is crashing. I'd say make a nice backup of the config before rebooting asmjws00 already advised.

BTW: coudl you post your hardware config?

balanga

Patron
Also, what are the hardware specs and FN version?

My hardware is not a typical, let alone a recommended setup. I am merely learning about FreeNAS before proceeding to build something more appropriate.

My current FreeNAS box is one of these:-

http://www.lenovo.com/images/gallery/560x345/lenovo-desktop-thinkcentre-m93m93p-tiny-main.png

As for FN version, am not sure how to tell...

uname does not provide me with the exact version number of the system I'm running...

I think it is this version:- FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506042008 but don't know how to confirm from the commandline

Noctris

Contributor
With hardware, i would need more then a picture.

Like:

How much ram
CPU
Network card
Hard disk
boot device
Specific machine ( the m93 and m93p differ. I cannot make up from your pic what you are using)

But i googled the box and your error could come from any type of things in this case. Too little RAM ? Are you using the included Hubrid Drive ? ( no idea how freenas actually responds to those) Are you using the USB3 ports on the machine to boot from .. etc.

balanga

Patron
It boots from a LEXAR 16GB 633x MicroSDHC card mounted in a STRONTIUM OTG card reader which is inserted in a USB3 port.

The hard disk is a Samsung M9T 2TB 9.5mm SATA 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive

Ram is 4GB according to the specs.

CPU is an Intel 2.6GHz processor - not sure which.

Ethernet controller : Intel L217LM Clarkville according to Lenovo specs for the M93.

It's a really nice little machine which I thought would be ideal as a first step for learning FreeNAS...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think for learning a virtual machine is best and if you are going to buy hardware then buy the correct stiff to start with since it actually costs something.

Noctris

Contributor
If this is just a test/play device, just reboot and see what happens. If it doesn't work anymore, reinstall freenas. This might be a good idea in general since having multiple services crash is never a good sign ( Cifs, UI, Syslog). you might have just broken it while testing/learning. No big deal. It can happen. and should not mather in a test.

If you DO have valuable data on it ( which would tel me this is not just a test): starting backing it up and check the Freenas hardware requirements.

balanga

Patron
I think for learning a virtual machine is best and if you are going to buy hardware then buy the correct stiff to start with since it actually costs something.

Learning how to set up and use a virtual machine to run virtual FreeNAS seems like a waste of time if I can install and run FreeNAS on a real machine. It is only for home use and learning, not a critical environment. If there is a problem in a VM, you never know whether the problem lies with the VM or FreeNAS.

balanga

Patron
If this is just a test/play device, just reboot and see what happens. If it doesn't work anymore, reinstall freenas. This might be a good idea in general since having multiple services crash is never a good sign ( Cifs, UI, Syslog). you might have just broken it while testing/learning. No big deal. It can happen. and should not mather in a test.

If you DO have valuable data on it ( which would tel me this is not just a test): starting backing it up and check the Freenas hardware requirements.

I did eventually reboot, and the problems have not repeated themselves, at least not the

pid xxxx (syslog-ng), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

which happened every few seconds so I'll never know what caused that.

In general I don't like to reboot - just to see if a reboot cures things - too much of a Windows mentality :)

Since a re-install was not necessary I'll assume the system is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.