Can i reboot server remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZ_JJ

Dabbler
Wouldn't creating a hourly / 1/2 hourly cron job,running a script to ping the affected plugin/jail and restart the plugin/jail if no response be the simplest and most secure way of achieving the end result?
No open ports no external IP required.

Stux

MVP
Setup a VPN, or don't bother.

scrappy

Patron

Evertb1

Guru
Total noob here, have had issues with my FreeNAS having issues and needing to be restarted, which got me thinking, what if I'm on the road, trying to access Plex or NextCloud and the server isn't working. Is there a way for me to easily reboot the machine remotely? Thanks in advance. Laymans terms appreciated...When I say noob, I mean TOTAL noob to the server world.
So you want to be able to restart your FreeNAS box remote? You have received al kinds of replies with do's and dont's. If you are half way interested in keeping your security on an acceptable level take good note of the given advice/counsel.

That being said, I don't agree that you should not do what you want. Even you being a noob. Just be careful. Everybody can learn. And having a need (as you see it) is a good time to start your learning. Everybody was a noob at some point. Some of them are even expert on this forum now. When it comes to networking and security I am pretty much a noob myself. Still I have managed to create a VPN connection to my homework (from my work laptop) and use it well. Just investigate and be sure of what you do before you do it. In my case I had some helpful documentation and the luck that I own a good router (Fritz!box) making a couple of things possible the easy way. So for me VPN was it. In your case? Who knows? Start with your investigation. And I think that reading up on VPN and reading the manual and specs of your router might surprise you.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Indeed, we were all n00bz once. But there's a critical difference--those of us who grew beyond n00b status did so by being willing to put in the effort to learn, and I don't think OP's shown that inclination. He's saying, "I know nothing, so please spoon-feed me everything I need." We can probably walk him through whatever process is a good one, but we can't understand it for him. And unless he has a reasonable understanding of what he's doing, he's probably going to end up with a compromised system. Again.

Evertb1

Guru
Indeed, we were all n00bz once. But there's a critical difference--those of us who grew beyond n00b status did so by being willing to put in the effort to learn, and I don't think OP's shown that inclination. He's saying, "I know nothing, so please spoon-feed me everything I need." We can probably walk him through whatever process is a good one, but we can't understand it for him. And unless he has a reasonable understanding of what he's doing, he's probably going to end up with a compromised system. Again.
Apperently there is a history with the OP. So I can see where you are coming from. And spoon-feeding is not my hobby as well. On the other hand: just stating "don't do it" is not helping as well I think. In my reply I encourage OP to investigate and learn (and maybe promote VPN as solution :)). Of course if the OP is not willing to do that kind of investment in himself he would be far better off with a "out of the box" solution for his needs. But that is up to him.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Apperently there is a history with the OP.
To a degree.

@mrphillyblunt, I hope it doesn't sound like we're picking on you; that isn't my intent, and I doubt anyone else means to either. But to safely do what you're asking to do, you just need to have a better understanding of networking and network security than it seems like you have, or are interested in obtaining. Even if one of us would set it up for you, things change. Vulnerabilities are found. Software gets upgraded. New machines get added to the network. Or whatever. If you don't understand at least the basic concepts, you aren't going to be able to adapt to any changes, and you'll be at risk for major security issues.

We're happy to help you, but to do this safely is going to take some serious study.

diedrichg

Wizard
I love it when the grinch gets up on his podium, I always learn something new.

And unless he has a reasonable understanding of what he's doing, he's probably going to end up with a compromised system. Again.
Ah! I read that thread and so many warning flags went up! I can't believe this is the same OP. Something is definitely wrong with either their Arris modem/router setup or there is something else wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.