SOLVED Shortest Path to AWS Back-Up?

indivision

Guru
I am looking to set up automated off-site back-ups of certain datasets.

It's only around 500GB. So, not a huge amount. I think it comes out to around $10/Month on S3 which is acceptable. I use AWS professionally (or at least our team does). So, I am somewhat familiar with it. But, I am open to other cloud/backup locations if there is an advantage.

I am wanting to accomplish this with a "short", "durable" path. What I mean by this is that I would like to use only official plugins and/or built-in connections/features of FreeNas (I am using the latest public version).

When I search for AWS backup information for FreeNAS I can find a lot written. But, a lot of it appears to be out-dated given newer plugins and S3 connection options. I also don't want to have to trust one-off scripts/plugins or document and keep track of some ad hoc solution accomplished through the customizing a blank plugin, etc. I don't want to use Rancher. I'm not criticizing those types of solutions. They just involve more fail-points (including myself). So, for back-up, I just want something that depends on already FreeNas maintained, official code that won't require as much of my attention long-term.

Is there a guide for this that I missed? Or, is this just not possible yet with FreeNAS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

indivision

Guru
I was able to answer my own question. I ended up looking into BackBlaze and found they are a lot less expensive than AWS.

And my "short, durable" requirement is met via the Cloud Sync feature built into FreeNAS. BackBlaze provides a good guide for setting it up here: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-to-setup-freenas-cloud-storage/

Hope that helps someone else looking for the same!