Sharing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex98171

Cadet
Hi i just installed Freenas 9.3 And i shared it with a CIFS Sharing aka Windows Shares. But when i did i went to my PC, Opened File Explorer and Went to networks. For some reason the network was not listed and i could not find it on my PC. But when i went to available networks on my MacBookPro 2012... I found My Freenas Server... About the specs My PC is running windows 8 and My Freenas PC is a PC Made by Compaq. Any help is appreciated thanks and please HELP.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi i just installed Freenas 9.3 And i shared it with a CIFS Sharing aka Windows Shares. But when i did i went to my PC, Opened File Explorer and Went to networks. For some reason the network was not listed and i could not find it on my PC. But when i went to available networks on my MacBookPro 2012... I found My Freenas Server... About the specs My PC is running windows 8 and My Freenas PC is a PC Made by Compaq. Any help is appreciated thanks and please HELP.
Either network in windows is set to wrong type causing windows firewall to block network discovery or name resolution is failing due to NetBIOS issues.

On windows computer can you navigate through File Explorer to \\<IP of freenas> ?

By the way, you should familiarize yourself with materials in hardware stickies. Running freenas on desktop hardware is strongly recommended against.

Alex98171

Cadet
Hi I have tried disabling firewall but still nothing. I am kind of a noob in this Freenas kind of thing.. I have run a couple of gaming server before but i want to use freenas as a home media thing... So still nothing. I have tried To search my server with //IP or freenas but still nothing.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Open a file explorer window and type \\freenas and it should connect.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Try it with your server IP.

\\your.server.IP

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
still does not work..
It should connect via IP address.

Post contents of /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf. You can enable ssh and use an sftp client to copy the file off your server.

Describe your network. How are clients connected to network? How is server connected?

Verify that your windows computer can ping the freenas server.

ninjarobert

Dabbler
I'm a noob with this stuff too... this might be obvious, but I didn't see my FreeNAS on Windows until I added the server's IP to my router.

Status
Not open for further replies.