pitzav

Dabbler
Hi to all, I would appreciate any help!
Today the pool was lost. I have 3x wd red drives on freenas.
Some days ago I saw a degraded message on the dashboard and I wrote down the serial number of that drive. I then changed My PSU and all the cables and the message went away after I restarted.
I changed the PSU because the pc was behaving strangely. Today I had the same strange behavior from my pc so I changed the motherboard. (it was a faulty motherboard)
When FreeNAS loaded I saw again the degraded message but this time only 2 hard disks were visible in the dashboard.
I then went and check the serial numbers of those disks and the one that I got a message that it was degraded some days ago was not there anymore. I restarted the pc and then when FreeNAS booted I could not see anything in terms of disks and there was a message saying Uknown.
The pool status was also Unknown.
So does anybody know if i lost my files?
Right now I am doing a long test from wd software in another Pc to see if the disk is faulty. If it is and I replace it will the pool come back?

Thank you in advanced!

pitzav

Dabbler
Update
I think because I changed the motherboard the embeded raid controller destroyed the pool.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Update
I think because I changed the motherboard the embeded raid controller destroyed the pool.
Did you have a backup?

pitzav

Dabbler
Hi, thank you for taking the time to help! :)
I actually have another update. In a strange way I just gave another try and I think by changing a molex adaptor that had less pins than usual fixed the pool problem.
Now I am in a sittuation were I see a Degraded warning and I see my files but one disk is out of the pool and marked as unused like the attached screenshot.

Is there a way to put it back in the pool?

The long test I made for that specific drive was succesfull by the way.

Attachments

• unused pool.JPG
    unused pool.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 320

blueether

Patron
I've not used WD's tools but a quick google would suggest that the disk ckeck is distructive.

This means that you will have to do a replace of the drive that is "missing" with the "one that is in the disk list"
This should resilver the array ang get you back to where you started

pitzav

Dabbler
I've not used WD's tools but a quick google would suggest that the disk ckeck is distructive.

This means that you will have to do a replace of the drive that is "missing" with the "one that is in the disk list"
This should resilver the array ang get you back to where you started

Hi thanks for the reply! Do you mean that the test destroyed any pool information that was on the disk but the disk is Ok right?

blueether

Patron
Hi thanks for the reply! Do you mean that the test destroyed any pool information that was on the disk but the disk is Ok right?
Looks to be distructive of the data on the disk, ie you would now have what looks like a new disk to freenas

pitzav

Dabbler
Thanks!. I went to do the replace and it says unavail as the status is that normal?