Sharing an iSCSI device twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilez

Guru
I have an iSCSI device I want shared twice (one with "read only" enabled in the extent and one with it disabled). How do I do it? The GUI isn't letting me select the same device in 2 targets or 2 extents.

(As this isn't such a usual setup, two RW initiators would be expected to cause data corruption, but a second initiator that only has read access shouldn't cause a data problem. At worst its file reads will be inconsistent for files being modified at the same time)

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
It is a way to look for troubles. If file system stored on extent is not clustered, then during operation it may be inconsistent. And even if second system can't corrupt the data, it may not function correctly.

Stilez

Guru
The aim is, this is a VM store for a home lab, so it will be very clear which VMFS VM dirs. are in use, and which aren't, and the ones that aren't (at any given time) will be idle and their contents will be fully written to disk and static; the idle VMs can be safely read, mounted Read-Only to browse their virtual disk contents, or copied in full to the workstation without corruption, and disk space recovered by archiving to a non-ESXi share if space becomes tight, using a second initiator with read-only access.

What do I have to do, to enable such a setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.