Adding iSCSI Targets and Extents to VMware ESXi 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skookum

Cadet
Hi all,

This is my first post, because I've stumbled across the answer to personal issue I had and also the same issue a few previous threads have brought up but have gone unaddressed.

I'm running a development/testing cluster for my company and have a 10TB SAN shared out to 5 ESXi hosts through iSCSI. It's working pretty well. I only initially created a 2TB volume to use with ESXi and created a single extent and target and then created the target/extent association and I was up and rolling:

Targets / Extents:
den-zdatastore / zdatastore1
Well that datastore filled up fast so I went and added another 2TB volume and created the extent. Then I created an additional target/extent association between my original target and my new extent. So now I have:
Targets / Extents:
den-zdatastore / zdatastore2

I did a rescan of the iSCSI HBA in VMware and I wasn't seeing the new LUN. This was disappointing, because I had LUC enabled, but I didn't have time to troubleshoot, so I just restarted the iSCSI Service and the new LUN popped up in VMware and I was good to go.

Well, today, I ran out of space again, and added another 2TB volume and another extent. I then created an additional target/extent association between my original target and my new extent. So now I have:
Targets / Extents:
den-zdatastore / zdatastore3

I did a rescan of iSCSI HBA in VMware and again, still wasn't seeing the new LUN. I had some time to dink around and I REALLY didn't want to restart the iSCSI service, so checked my LUC configuration, read some documentation, rescanned and rescanned and rescanned, with no luck. I then tried an experiment.

I deleted the new association, created a NEW target (identical to the old), and created a NEW association between the NEW target and the new extent:
Targets / Extents:
den-zdatastore3 / zdatastore3

Did the rescan in VMware, viola! The LUN pops up. Only this time it shows as LUN 0 again:

Runtime Name..........LUN
vmhba38:C0:T1:L0............0
vmhba38:C0:T1:L1............1
vmhba38:C0:T2:L0............0

Weird. But, hey it works.

TLDR: When adding an iSCSI extent to VMware, you need to create a new target to associate it with, you can't reuse the old one, even if that makes sense.

PS: Does anyone know if there is a performance or reliability difference between having all your iSCSI Extents associated with 1 Target vs. them each having their own target?

PPS: I know everyone likes to see what hardware we're running, so here it is:
1x SuperMicro SC846BE16-R920 Chassis
1x SuperMicro X9SRI-3F-B Motherboard
1x Intel Xeon E5-2609 CPU
1x LSI 9211-8i SAS Controller
6x Kingston 8GB Value RAM
6x Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
2x Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD
2x Intel 313 Series 20GB SSD
2x Intel 330 Series 60GB SSD
1x Intel EXPI9402PT NIC

-Skookum