Shares/Volumes Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulixes

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to FreeNAS, and am experimenting on a VM to later on pass to a physical solution.
I rapidly tried OpenMediaVault a few days ago and then got to run FreeNAS on a VMWare Machine.

I created a RAID 0 UFS Volume with 2x4.00 GB Test Drives. Then I created a CIFS share.

This being said, I was wondering if you could help me with my dilemma:
I have been looking for an option that allows me to set the permissions directly on the share rather than on the Volume (like OpenMediaVault seems to do). Does such a thing exist on FreeNAS?

Let's say I have 5 users: A, B, C, D, E and that I would like to enable 2 of them to Write/Read (A and B) and 2 of them to Only Read (C and D) and leave E unable to do anything.
How am I supposed to achieve this? Put A+B in a group and set the latter as the owner of the volume?
What about C and D?? (I could put them in the "Other" category, but that would enable E as well, whereas I don't want it to access a certain Volume)

Further, if I were able to individually set different permissions on different shares, I could assign a subfolder onto the main volume (hence a different share pointing on the same Volume but different subfolders) to each of the users so that they wouldn't be able to access others' subfolders.

Is it possible or does a similar thing exist?

Thanks for your time!

striker

Cadet
I have the same issue. This should be a basic feature. I would appreciate help :)

Akhademik

Explorer
i'm new here, i did have the same problem and was trying to figure it out but no luck. i think if you switch to AD rather than Unix then you can set permission on windows side that could be possible to archive your goal. it's quite complicated

Whattteva

Wizard
You can add users to multiple groups. It would require the use of pw command. The details of it can be found on this link.

Status
Not open for further replies.