Shares missing after reboot / shutdown !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fostersimported

Dabbler
Hello All,

I am experiencing the following problem.

Whenever I reboot or shut down my shares are missing on my client pc (XP & windows 7) I cannot see the shares, I also cannot access the share with the direct path. However they are still listed as active shares in the GUI.

The only way to make them available again is to access the GUI and click edit on a share then Ok (i.e re-saving the shares) They are then visible on my client pcs.

This is repeatable every time you shutdown/reboot.

My setup is as follows;

OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p2
Platform: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory: 1007MB
System Time: Sun Jul 31 09:30:02 GMT-1 2011
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-i386

Volume Path Used Available Size Status
250gb /mnt/250gb 182.8 GiB (89%) 24.7 GiB 225.6 GiB UNKNOWN
500gb /mnt/500gb 392.8 GiB (95%) 22.2 GiB 451.1 GiB UNKNOWN

Also note that my drives have an UNKNOWN Status since BETA4 ( they are UFS formatted)

Another post with the same problem (Link Fixed)

Thanks in advance
Don

nicko

Dabbler
Hi Don,
glad somebody else is experiencing this, it's all gone quiet since I placed my post so I thought I must be the only one. Just waiting patiently for the next beta in the hope that it's fixed !!

Nick

fostersimported

Dabbler
Hi Nick,
Have you submitted a ticket for this issue? I also think that there has not been much response because most people using Freenas 8(and above) have zfs formatted drives etc...

I currently dont have another drive to test zfs at the moment, but I still need UFS drives and shares to be stable.

I hope we get a response

Don

Anyone else reading this if you could try an test this bug for us and post your results it would be appreciated. Just set up a UFS formatted HDD and create a share for windows, can you still access it after a reboot??

jwhitten

Cadet
I have a similar issue. I recovered a drive which had been damaged in a lightning strike-- no bearing on FreeNAS, it was running as a RAID under Linux at the time. After looking around at NAS options, I decided to switch to FreeNAS and ZFS. I created a UFS drive and imported the data (it says its an EXT2 type drive). There were no issues in importing and everything worked fine, I was able to see the drive and browse the data. Then I powered off the server and it's been just sitting here since around January this year. I powered it back up this week to start using it and the volume now says "Status Unknown". When I do a 'zpool status', it shows me the ZFS partition just fine:

minerva# zpool status
pool: vg0
state: ONLINE
scrub: scrub completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri Apr 27 03:01:02 2012
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
vg0 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/4786e3f0-fd8a-11e0-a10c-001d60b763b7 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/485852cc-fd8a-11e0-a10c-001d60b763b7 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

But it doesn't show me the other volume, 'vg1'.

But when I look at it in the web gui under show all volume I see:

vg0 /mnt/vg0 450.4 GiB (16%) 2.2 TiB 2.7 TiB HEALTHY
vg1 /mnt/vg1 444.4 GiB (53%) 426.0 GiB 916.9 GiB UNKNOWN

If I log in locally and cd to /mnt/vg1, all my data is there and it appears to be able to read it just fine. But it doesn't appear in any of the lists when I go to create a CIFS share or anything.

I also upgraded FreeNAS to "FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p1-x64 (11059)" in hopes that it was simply a glitch in the earlier revision.

Apparently some people are having this issue-- I see sporadic reports. I am primarily interested in using FreeNAS due to its ZFS capabilities, but it is very important to me that it be able to read (at least) Linux formats so that I can backup and/or exchange data (a whole drive's worth) with my other Linux systems. As an aside, I can live with Ext2/3 compatibility okay but it would be nice if there were some other formats supported. I have a number of older systems that are still using Reiserfs, for instance-- though I suspect it's probably not practical to expect that one to show up any time soon-- maybe in 100 years to life or so...

Anyway-- I just thought I'd toss my oar in as having similar UFS problems in hopes that someone else might know the answer.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.