Multiple CIFS Shares Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashipps

Cadet
I have 3-shares created using v8.3.0 FreeNAS: Nas-A, Nas-B, Nas-C on RAID-1 Volume (WD3TB)

1. If the path is configured with the share name (Example: /mnt/WD3TB/Nas-A) client PCs cannot access the share.

2. If the path is configured leaving out the share name (Example: /mnt/WD3TB/), client PCs can access the the share. The problem with this configuration is that any files copied to 1-share (Nas-A) are also found on Nas-B and Nas-C shares.

So the question is: How do I configure each share to be a separate silo (its own files) and achieve access from Win-XP, Win-Vista, and Win-7 clients? Does a separate volume have to be created for each share? I hope not! Suggestions requested, please.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
do you even have a folder or dataset on WD3TB called NAS-A or NAS-B ?

It sounds like you are sharing the root of the directory but are failing to understand the structure of what you are trying to accomplish.

if share labeled "NAS-A" is pointing to /mnt/WD3TB and you have share labeled NAS-B pointing to the same location, how else would you expect it to work??

you can either CREATE a FOLDER within your mount point or use datasets on the ZFS volume. I prefer datasets to keep the organization the way I want.

Try this: within the root of /mnt/WD3TB create a folder called TEST1 and one called TEST2
Share out the TEST1 and TEST2 directories then move some files around. Maybe you will get a better picture of what you are doing.

Within the CIFS/SMB SHARES setting, you creating a share called NAS-A doesnt automatically create a FOLDER called NAS-A. It creates a 'share name' of NAS-A. And if it is pointing to the same location as the others, the result is exactly as you have seen. Share NAME and an actual location are completely different things.

I have attached a screenshot of one of my NAS boxes CIFS settings and zfs/datasets
2013_02_02_14_19_31_nas_FreeNAS_8.3.0_RELEASE_x64_r12701M_.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
Not open for further replies.