Gigabyte P55M-UD4 Motherboard
I5 760
8 Gigs DDR
3x Toshiba DR01ACA200 (2TB)
3x WD WD30EZRZ (3TB)
GTS 450 Graphics Card

Installing Freenas 11.3-U2

I used Rufus 3.9 to install the freenas image

I have installed the image onto a usb stick (Have tried 4 different Types of USB, Lexar S75 Lexar 64Gig - Lexar P20 64Gig - Sandisk Ultra 32gig - 128 Gig Sandisk Ultra Extreme on a generic USB2 reader)

Each time I attempt to boot from the Freenas usb the computer just locks up. I have tried it on some of my other PC's and they work fine (Another Gigabyte board socket 1151 with a i5 4590) and a 1150 board (asus) with a i7 8700k.

I have another gigabyte board in reserve that I could use a EX58UD5 with a Xeon 5670 (8 Gigs DDR 3 Ram) but this is packed away somewhere and I would like to get the current i5 570 system working

I have removed all the HDDs and just tried to get the USB drive to boot but still have the same issue.

I did have a look at Unraid (that worked) but Freenas seems to be better for my reqirements..

TIA

Make sure in the bios the sata controller is set to AHCI and not IDE or something.. If it has both USB2 and USB3 ports make sure its in a USB2 port. Easiest things to try. While in the bios also make sure USB is set to legacy and/or auto, secure boot, and other fancy features are turned off (if present). You wont need any serial ports, audio, etc... Disable all of these features as they likely wont be used anyway.

Does bios see any of these usb stick? Look for any other suspect settings in bios and also try disabling them.