Setup questions - it works, but lots of questions remain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgarychris

Contributor
Hi,

I have, with the help of many, managed to get Freenas 8.0 up and running (thanks guys!) and was now thinking to myself "Now, what?!". What I was hoping to do was this:

1. Connect Freenas to my media player (Boxee Box) to play media
2. Backup my smaller D-Link 323 which will be used for general purpose storage
3. Serve as a Time Machine backup
4. Operate as a SABnzbd machine
5. Perhaps allow me to read files remotely and/or write files remotely
6. How do I make my rig as energy efficient as possible?

#1 I am hoping should be fairly easy, but I was wondering if someone might have a suggestion as to how best to configure - I've set up Freenas with AFP shares since I have a Mac and Boxee can now handle AFP but this leaves my Win7 machine out...Do I set up multiple protocols? I tried NFS and couldn't get it to work - the directory couldn't be read or written to from the Mac

#2 I understand in reading that rsync is the tool but it can't be used to "pull" data from a source, so does that mean this is not possible?

#3 I think I've eliminated this as it would be done wirelessly and I'm only getting 16-18Mbps - I can use a USB drive for this I guess...

#4 I don't think this is possible with version 8 - can anyone correct me?

#5 My main concern here is how to make it secure? I have set up one user in a group and used that to r/w/e on Freenas...can anyone suggest how I would set up a secure FTP environment? Do you set up a new user and a small partition to write files to and then give that user the ability to read files on all partitions?

#6 I bought the Asus E35M1-I Deluxe for it's low power consumption but I can't see anywhere that I can control power consumption for the system in the gui? I was hoping for power down options on drives, wake on lan options perhaps, I don't know, how do you set this stuff up? I have clicked the option to enable the powerd daemon, but what does that really do?

Sorry to bombard with questions - the help files are very helpful but they're written more from a "how to make this work" perspective rather than from a conceptual "here's why you use this tool" or "if you want to do this, use this" viewpoint imo.

Anyways, thanks all - I'd also be very keen to know what other tricks and neat things other people are doing!

calgarychris

Contributor
Anyone able to help? Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.