Setup of NAS

robert88

Dabbler
Hi there,

Received a lot of good feedback about FreeNAS as a solution for a home user.
I'm trying to finish my FreeNAS setup and I'm seeking advise on below 2 points:

1. Since it will be used at home, I would like to install a p2p client and Plex.
I have created a Raid1 which I will be using for p2p download and Plex.
/mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/plex/root/Plex Media Server
/mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads

From the initial setup, I see that each on of this application it's using a predefined location.
Main issue when I try to setup the Plex, its that I can search only for folders from into
../plex/root/Plex Media Server

and I want to be able to reach

../jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads/

So, that's why I would like to define a directory which will be used by those 2 application.
ex: /mnt/RAID1/Downloads/

Do you think that its possible to use a specific location where qbittorrent should download and use in Plex?
If its possible, how can I make this change?
Could someone point me to documentation or provide the steps to achieve this?

I was looking into documentation and forum but I didn't find the correct information for this particular situation.

2. Using qBittorrent on OSX or Windows, I have the RSS option and there I can specific the RSS feeds and define the RSS Downloader Rules.

Since build application used on freeNAS (4.1.4_2) its different from PC version (on PC earlier versions of qBittorrent, including version 3, have RSS feed implement), what would be the solution to use RSS on qBittorrent or any other p2p client?

Any p2p client available on jails does not include RSS, so issue is not only with qBittorrent.

Thanks,
Robert

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

kdragon75

Wizard
For the meda path in Plex, just type the path (from the jails root) to the media. This will require mounting the qbitorrent jails /Downloads/ folder in the Plex jail. 14.3.3. Additional Storage

With the guide linked above you can mount /mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads/ to /mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/plex/root/Plex Media Server/. Alternatively, you can mount the qbitorrent Downloads folder anywhere on the Plex jail and manually type in the correct path, i.e. dont "browse" for the location.

More ideally, you would have a downloads dataset on FreeNAS that's mounted to the qbitorrent jail then move the files to an organized media dataset that get mounted to the Plex jail. This keep the data outside of the jail datasets so if you delete the jail, you don't delete your media or downloads.

Also RAID1 is NOT a thing that exist in ZFS. The closest thing is RAIDz1 then for two disks worth of parity its referred to as RAIDz2. That is unless your using a RAID card. If that's the case, you need to go back to the drawing board and rebuild your system before it takes a crap on you. Also note that the linked guide is for version 11.2 as it it the current "release". Next time please follow the forum rules and include basic information about your build.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also RAID1 is NOT a thing that exist in ZFS. The closest thing is RAIDz1
No, the closest thing is mirrors, which are functionally indistinguishable from RAID1.
its that I can search only for folders from into
../plex/root/Plex Media Server
As @kdragon75 says, you can still type in the correct path. But with that said, I don't think pointing Plex directly to your torrent download directory is a good idea. Plex expects a certain directory structure for its content, and that isn't going to be present for stuff you're downloading. What you really need to do is set up media datasets and move/copy downloads to the correct locations once they're finished. You have two basic options to do that:
  • (simplest to set up, but a pain in the long run) just do it manually. When a movie's finished downloading, move it to video/movies/. When a TV episode is finished, put it in the appropriate directory. The setup work for this is pretty much nil, but you're manually moving everything all the time.
  • (more involved to set up, but much less work in the long run) install software to do it for you. Popular software includes Sonarr, Radarr, and Headphones, all of which are available as plugins. You tell (say) Radarr what you want, it searches for it, sends the download request to your torrent client, and when the download is complete, moves the file to the appropriate place, optionally renaming it as well.

kdragon75

Wizard
No, the closest thing is mirrors, which are functionally indistinguishable from RAID1.
Well this is embarrassing... I was thinking RAID5. Seems I've lost my mind.

robert88

Dabbler
Thank you all for quick replay.
Memories about Raid0 and Raid1 are still there. Since I want to be safe, I'm using Mirror, not Stripe.

No, I'm not gonna use dedicated Raid board, too much technology for a home NAS.

Regarding Chapter 14.3.3,I f I'm gonna use below Mount Point for Plex, it will do the job:
Source: /mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads
Destination: /mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/plex/root/Plex Media Server

I wouldn't like to use 3rd party application to move things from one folder to another.
Adding a mount point to Plex Media Server it's a good idea because I will not have duplicated files.
Since I'm not gonna use public trackers, I will need to keep a while those files that I will download.
Also, I will have subfolders which will help me out sort things out.

Will need to figure it out about RSS feed and I will be able to move the computer back to his place.

Once again, thank you for information provided until now.

Cheers,
Robert

garm

Wizard
No, I'm not gonna use dedicated Raid board, too much technology for a home NAS.
Yup misunderstand, a hardware RAID card would be unstable in conjunction with ZFS, let ZFS do the hardware bit and give it bare metal drives.
Regarding Chapter 14.3.3,I f I'm gonna use below Mount Point for Plex, it will do the job:
If you do that, what ever is in that folder gets nuked by nullfs. You should rethink the mountpoint.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you do this make sure you never delete the qbittorrent jail or you will lose all your media. I would suggest creating a seperate dataset to store your media and not store it in your jail.

robert88

Dabbler
If you do this make sure you never delete the qbittorrent jail or you will lose all your media. I would suggest creating a separate dataset to store your media and not store it in your jail.

Since i have created a dedicated Dataset, how do i change the download folder in qbittorent?

from
/mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads
to
/mnt/RAID1/Plex_qBittorrent

And no, i`m not interested in moving files, ideally would be for qbittorent to download outside jail.

kdragon75

Wizard
well, if you had done this from the start, you could have just mounted the the dataset to the default download folder but now you have to decide what to do.

One, Move all the files from /mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads to /mnt/RAID1/Plex_qBittorrent and then mount /mnt/RAID1/Plex_qBittorrent to /mnt/RAID1/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads.
or
Two, mount /mnt/RAID1/Plex_qBittorrent to a new folder in the jail and move the files to that folder.
And no, i`m not interested in moving files, ideally would be for qbittorent to download outside jail.
Most torrent clients have the option of moving files once complete and are not marked complete until a seed ratio is achieved.

Last edited:

robert88

Dabbler
Good evening and happy new year!

Manage to find some spare time and i`ve done some progress based on hints provided.
No data were needed so i started from scratch.

1. Created a new pool with a new name, in order to avoid any confusion "Seagate2TB".
2. Added different datasets as recommended
Created one which i called "Download", where i should download files from internet.
3. Installed qbittorrent, sonarr and plex.
4. Stopped all application installed.
5. Set some mount points which did the trick.
Example in case someone it`s in doubt like i was:
Source:/mnt/Seagate2TB/Downloads
Destination: /mnt/Seagate2TB/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads

Source:/mnt/Seagate2TB/Downloads
Destination: /mnt/Seagate2TB/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/Downloads

Thanks you guys!
SweetAndLow, kdragon75, danb35, garm