Setting up SSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiradog

Dabbler
Hi all,
I have been going through the setup for SSH.
One thing I am totally confused about is, in all that I have read about SSH, the private key is installed on the client and the public key is installed on the server.
In the setup procedure for FreeNas when you change the protocol from HTTP to HTTPS it creates a private key on the NAS server and an unsigned certificate.
Does this mean then that you have to copy a public key onto the client?
If so, how do you find it to copy it? Or am I way out with my understanding of this setup?
I would like to use Putty or Filezilla as the client on a Windows 7 machine.
I would like to add that up to now the 8.3.1 version of FeeNas has filled all my expectations, being able to SSH remotely will be the icing on the cake.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What? Http and HTTPS have nothing to do with ssh. Ssh can be configured with nothing more than a password.

What is your purpose in wanting to set it up? Most people set it up to be able to troubleshoot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Wiradog

Dabbler
Hi Pirateghost
My reason for setting up SSH is for the file service, so I can send and receive files remotely to and from the NAS over the internet. I considered FTP but it seemed to be insecure.

I did consider setting up a VPN service, but that seemed very complicated to achieve with FreeNas

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So you want to use sftp or scp to transfer files over the wan?

I would never open up my nas to the outside world in any way, but I have VPN configured on my router. You don't need VPN on your freenas box just some VPN server running on your network somewhere or on the router.

That would be the preferred method, but if you want to open up ssh access to the wan you will want to enforce the use of keys. I'm not near my freenas to know what options it has for that but ssh key information is basically OS agnostic.

Wiradog

Dabbler
Thanks pirateghost,

Looks like I have got my wires crossed a little, I don't think the router I am using will do VPN, so I am going to after look at a new router, as Belkin I am using is quite old.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I refuse to use those cracker box routers. I run only bsd or Linux based distros to handle my network

thepodger

Cadet
If you want to get your head around SSH, I would highly recommend the following book:
SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels and Keys [Paperback] by Michael W Lucas (Author)
http://amzn.to/18xNvPQ

He does not address the use of SSH keys on FreeNAS, but the advice and background info will get you going pretty quickly. It is a quick read and your copy will probably end up dogeared and covered in notes like mine is. I know this does not answer your question and should I get SSH going on one of my boxes soon, I will post my findings to this list.
Best of luck.
P

Lightperfect

Dabbler
Did you get this to do what you wanted? If not I can help.

pj

would you please help me set up ssh?

i have no idea what i am doing here...

thanks

sam

Whattteva

Wizard

thanks

sam
Setting up SSH on FreeNAS is a fairly straight-forward procedure.
You can do it all through the web GUI on the services page.

What part of the SSH process are you having problem with?

jackson

Cadet

thanks

sam

Sam, as Whatteva above stated, setting up SSH is very straightforward. It's simply a matter enabling it in the web interface.

Once you know the IP address for your FreeNAS box, simply open a web-browser from any computer on your network and type http://your.freenas.ip.here (example; http://192.168.1.10) From there you can enable the services you want.

Jackson

Lightperfect

Dabbler
I can enable the ash service no problem.
The problem is how to use it..
I am using osx10.3 I can't use puTTY like windows.
So I did in my browser but I can't get through ssh://my.ip.add.ress Or ssh://user@my.ip.add.ress should I have use shell do do it? What's the command should I use?
Thanks again

More I am looking into Linux or Freenas more I feel like a noob. There is new thing to learn everyday

Sam

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
In osx you would use terminal/shell just like in Linux.
Ssh username@freenasip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightperfect

Dabbler
Which user name should I use?

Root? Or the ine I already have in my freenas? (Same user group and user own the AFP share)

How about pass word?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's up to you. I use root because I don't have any accounts set up on my freenas boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whattteva

Wizard
The same user/pw you set up for your share should be fine.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Lightperfect

Dabbler
How to type in the terminal?

Ssh username@password:freenasip

Am I wrong?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
you can just type in
ssh username@freenasip
it will prompt you for the password.

did you enable it properly on the freenas box?

Lightperfect

Dabbler
I have test it yet, but I will tonight when I gets home :smile: I will post here for update.

Thanks so much
Sam

jackson

Cadet
I can enable the ash service no problem.
The problem is how to use it..
I am using osx10.3 I can't use puTTY like windows.
So I did in my browser but I can't get through ssh://my.ip.add.ress Or ssh://user@my.ip.add.ress should I have use shell do do it? What's the command should I use?
Thanks again

Sam

Hey Sam,

We can tell you how to setup and login to SSH, but that will simply leave you looking at a prompt on a command line with you wondering, "What do I do now"?

I can see where this is going. I think a better question is, "What exactly are you trying to achieve?"
Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.