Setting Up Permissions Per User

Status
Not open for further replies.

theprez

Explorer
Hello,

Moving from Synology to FreeNAS 9.10 and have read the admin guide but it's still a little unclear to me for 2 particular use cases specifically around volumes and shares. I have (4) 4TB hard drives configured in a raidz2 configuration with a volume called Volume1.

Use Case 1:
I have 3 users (bob, jane, tom) they have their own ID created and they need to have their own folder that only they can access using their own credentials.

Use Case 2:
Another new user (john) is added who needs to be able to read/write bob's folder and tom's folder using his own credentials.

I can only figure out a way to set permissions on the volume as a whole which isn't what I am looking for - any ideas?

EDIT - is the best practice perhaps to create a new dataset for each user under volume1 and that dataset would have permissions for each individual user (seems to address use case 1 but not use case 2)

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard

theprez

Explorer
It would be CIFS yes - across Windows and Mac.

Based on the manual, I was under the impression UNIX permissions were to be used when different operating systems are used as "all clients understand UNIX permissions"

The suggestion mentioned would seem to address both use cases...assuming UNIX permissions work instead of Windows.

Nick2253

Wizard
I think you're misreading the manual just slightly. From the manual 8.1.2:

If you have a mix of operating systems or clients will be accessing the volume/dataset using a non-CIFS share, select the Unix “Permission Type” as all clients understand them.

The Windows “Permission Type” augments traditional Unix permissions with ACLs. Use the Windows “Permission Type” for CIFS shares or when the FreeNAS® system is a member of an Active Directory domain.

If you change your mind about the “Permission Type”, you do not have to recreate the volume/dataset as existing data is not lost. However, if you change from Windows to Unix or Mac, the extended permissions provided by ACLs will be removed from the existing files.

When you select the Windows “Permission Type”, the ACLs are set to what Windows sets on new files and directories by default. The Windows client should then be used to fine-tune the permissions as required.

(Emphasis mine)

In other words, if you want to set permissions for CIFS shares, you need to use the "Windows" permission type setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.