Setting up my server running freeNAS as a network gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarkfnuskel

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm really new to this so bear with me.

I'm pretty certain that I know what I want to do but I don't have the first idea of how to set it up. I've been reading through the documentation and just trying to google my way to some good and solid instructions without finding just that. When I read through some of the freeBSD documentation I realized that some input from more seasoned users was needed.

What I want is for my server running freeNAS to act as an internet gateway for my home network, with or without running NAT (my ISP provides five dynamic IP's and I don't have alot of hardware that needs to be connected at the same time). I also want to know if setting this up would in any way limit my access to the server or any functions of the server.
If anyone could give me input on which way of setting this up would best suit my needs and how to do it, it would be great.

My setup:
The server is running freeNAS 9.3 and has two ethernet ports.
I've got a router, on which I've turned of NAT, that I want to use as a switch/hub on the local network.
There's no modem or other hardware needed for the internet connection, just an ethernet cable from a wall mounted socket.

The server is working fine on my current network, which just uses the previously mentioned router as a switch/hub. I just want to do this because it should be possible and it would limit the amount of 10m ethernet cables needed in my pretty small apartment.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Just no. This will never work without a LOT of effort and will probably break with a future update. Freenas is NOT intended to be used as an all-in-one server like clearos or zentyal.

Do not try this. Keep it simple. Protect your nas behind a proper router and forget this idea.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No. Just no. This is so incredibly dangerous to do that I'm going to lock this thread. FreeNAS is not meant to act as a gateway to the internet, period. If you want to know what happened to the last person that posed a question almost as dangerous, read the posts by russian_mafia.

Status
Not open for further replies.