Setting up LACP

Status
Not open for further replies.

afmiller

Contributor
Hello, I am trying to set up LACP on my freenas. I have a Nortel 5520 switch that has LACP enabled for ports 29/30.

here is the line from show lacp port command

29 32768 Active A Long 10 8202 0 Active
30 32768 Active A Long 10 8202 0 Active

when I boot freeNAS up I get that I can access my box on 2 ip address of .134 and .107. From here I try and set up lagg0, the GUI fails to set up LACP and doesn't bring me back to where I set an ip address for the lagg. I tried to do this from the console as well, I assigned an ip address to lagg0 of .5 with no luck. I am unable to reach my freeNAS from any ip. Before setting up the lagg, I verified that no interfaces were configured under view interfaces before I started. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Don't try to configure separate IP's, that's just broken.

Do note that you need to configure each interface, without an IPv4 address, as "up" (in the extra options). Then you create a lagg on top of that, with an IP address.

During the process, if you do not have additional ethernets on the box, you may manually hammer up an IP address for purposes of communicating with the NAS from the console command line. "ifconfig em0 inet 123.456.78.90 netmask 0xffffff00" or whatever. Keeping that out of the GUI and middleware will help make things turn out right.

afmiller

Contributor
I have another NIC that I can install to get some more interfaces. Let me try what you are saying. I will let you know how it goes

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In that case, you may find it easier to add that interface, configure the two LAGG members with no IP address and "up", then configure the LAGG.

afmiller

Contributor
Thanks, got it working, I really appreciate it jgreco.

Am I able to unplug the 3rd interface so traffic wont go out of that? or will use lagg0 and the 3rd Ethernet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.