setting permissions on dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

i.am.meikle

Dabbler
Hi,

I have set up a dataset and am sharing it via NFS.
I created the dataset first, imported the data from a USB drive, then shared the result.
I then followed http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Unix_(NFS)_Shares to change the permissions (to nobody) to allow me to access the share.
However when setting the "Set permission recursively" option (since I have already imported the data) the web gui then "processes" this request for what seems like an age (at least 15 mins) then finishes. No error message.
But the permissions have not been changed !

If I do not use the "Set permission recursively" option, then it still takes quite a while (about 2 mins) but the permissions are in fact changed, but of course only for the base directory and not all sub directories.

Is there a way to see what commands are executed and also what results or error messages are give from performing an action.

There is nothing in the standard message log at the base of the GUI.

I SSH'd into the NAS box and did the "chown" manually which worked and completed in a matter of seconds.

Regards
Ian

drinking12many

Contributor
Ive had issues with permissions in the GUI as well. I did the same chown manually to fix it. Still having problems getting NFS mounts created through the gui. I didnt really want to do that in the command line since I didnt think it would be exported with my settings if I upgraded the Freenas version. Pretty much in general there seems to be some issue with loading many of the settings pages from the GUI and then trying to configure them where at least on my box 90% of the fail or never load.

Fregor

Dabbler
how do you do the SSH chown?

i have same issue and i need to fix this aswell
even thoug i use ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.