SOLVED [11.3-U3.2] Traverse option in "Edit permissions" is broken

Scorm

Dabbler
Hello, I have tried traversing permissions changes with and without "Apply permission recursively" but none of the scenarios change the child dataset permissions.
This would be useful since dataset creation, even in "Advanced mode", has no permission control so we get root:wheel by default.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello, I have tried traversing permissions changes with and without "Apply permission recursively" but none of the scenarios change the child dataset permissions.
This would be useful since dataset creation, even in "Advanced mode", has no permission control so we get root:wheel by default.
This seems to be working for me. If you are not on 11.3-U3.2, please upgrade to that version and try again after clearing browser cache.

Scorm

Dabbler
(Updated to U3.2 & cleared browser cache (Firefox 77.0.1 x64))

I was able to make it function, perhaps I had forgotten "Apply user" and/or "Apply group"; however, the recursive option has to checked in order for traverse to work. Since Traverse help states "Apply permissions recursively to all child datasets of the current dataset.", then it is misleading and I can't mark this as SOLVED just yet. Now, if people would usually avoid larger trees of datasets because of the technicalities of sharing those, it does not make the issue less valid, maybe of lesser priority.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
(Updated to U3.2 & cleared browser cache (Firefox 77.0.1 x64))

I was able to make it function, perhaps I had forgotten "Apply user" and/or "Apply group"; however, the recursive option has to checked in order for traverse to work. Since Traverse help states "Apply permissions recursively to all child datasets of the current dataset.", then it is misleading and I can't mark this as SOLVED just yet. Now, if people would usually avoid larger trees of datasets because of the technicalities of sharing those, it does not make the issue less valid, maybe of lesser priority.
Yes, that's a documentation / UI issue. "Traverse" (apply to child datasets) should only be available if "recursive" is checked. The underlying application doing permissions changes in both the "ACL" and "permissions" case uses the fts(3) subroutine. "Traverse" manipulates the FTS_XDEV flag. https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=fts&sektion=3

Last edited: