Setting different SMART temperature reporting thresholds

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronadams

Dabbler
I've got a pair of FreeNAS Minis, each with 4×HDD and 1×SSD.

The HDDs idle around 28ºC, and I'd like to know if they ever reach 40ºC.

But the SSD idles around 40ºC.

By setting the SMART Settings temperature threshold to 40ºC, I receive frequent reports on the SSD being "too hot."

It would be nice if this page would either let me set a separate SSD threshold, or just ignore the SSD altogether, since it's nowhere near as sensitive to high temperatures.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I get the emails and I just ignore them.

aaronadams

Dabbler
Yes, that… is certainly an option, but I don't really want to desensitize sysadmins to the alert emails.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To be honest, if they can't be bothered to read the email, they shouldn't be your sysadmins. They're assuming too much if they can't be bothered to read the email. They going to ignore the email that says "hey, your email server is about to crash?"

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't get me wrong.. I'd rather not see them. I'm just saying that your reason for the change is, in my opinion, not worthy of the discussion. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So are you going to tell me that all industrial situations have this problem? Honestly, go to any industrial complex and you will find that you *do* get alarms when nothing is wrong. Not because they enjoy it, but because it's *designed* to do that.

Sorry, I did industrial work for more than 10 years. And when I tried to argue the same thing you are arguing I was told "if you aren't doing your job (which means receiving, acknowledging, and resetting the alarms there's a name for that.. complacent. And complacency is exactly how you end up with results that aren't what you want.

You aren't going to win this one. While I firmly believe your logic for why the emails should be stopped is flawed I still agree that it should be fixed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.