Set Permission to allow users to share a common folder & have private personal folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Yoan,

This is a tutorial that I wrote. You didn't mention what version you are using, that was written during beta-4.

Can you post the version from the system information screen in the GUI?

Also, you should have posted your question in that thread to keep the topic consolidated. Please post/look there for follow up, so this post can be merged.

EDIT: Posts merged into original thread

yoan

Cadet
Thanks for your quick answer, i use this version OS version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386

yoan

Cadet
Why i didn't think about it ? upgrade done, i have the browse button
Thanks a lot

kirmis

Cadet
Hi, I followed the http://protosd.blogspot.com/2011/12/general-permissions-sharing-folders.html tutorial, but I’m still can’t set the permissions to have each user access ONLY to his own folder.
Can you help me to set the rules not from command line, but over the GUI?
I have create a lot of users and I want to have read/write access only on their own folders!
How can I merge each user to the specific folder?

Thanks for your time

Visseroth

Guru
Easiest way is going to be from the command line using putty.

ProtoSD

MVP
Visseroth is correct, the GUI doesn't have a file manager or method of setting permissions on a per user or per folder basis. The only way you *might* be able to do it would be creating a separate dataset for each user and changing the users home directory to that dataset, but you still don't have a way to change all of the settings in the GUI.

Visseroth

Guru
I would also recommend you learning as much command line as you can anyhow because the best way to manage any FreeBSD or Linux system is from the command prompt. Heck even MS realized this and created power tools for Windowz

kirmis

Cadet
Thanks a lot for your quick answer!
I'll search for the basics freeBSD commands...

G

gcooper

WARNING: Please note that while this will work with Unix filesystems, etc this will mess stuff up with Windows if you're not using simple sharing (i.e. user, group, other).

stereoactivo

Cadet
Hi, I did the tutorial, but I have a problem, I can't log in from windows to FreeNAS, windows always says that I entered a wrong password. I tried

username
password

and
freenas\username
password

but with no luck.

ProtoSD

MVP
You need to search some other postings, the answer is in the forums, it's been asked a lot I just don't remember the answer. It's probably something that belongs in the FAQ. You might check that "Authentication Model" is set to "local user" under Services->Control Services->CIFS and see if that helps.

LUZR4LIFE

Cadet
I am having issues setting up permissions. I have read the quide and your tutorials with no luck. I am setting up a home network and media server. I want guest to be able to see the data but not be able to delete or add data.

1st thing I tried:
Added 2 groups
Admin
User

Added User
(Me added password) Assoc. w/ both groups
(Guest add no password) Assoc. w/ User

Added Share (Server)
(Inherit Owner/permissions)
Added Share (Media) sub folder in Server
(Read Export Only)

Added Permissions
Me/Admin (checked all boxes)
Guest/USER (Read/Execute)
(Set permission recursively box will not stay checked)

All PC's can see both share Media is read only but all PC's can mod the Server Share. What am I doing wrong? What would be the best way to set this up? I would like to have a login set to access the Server Share.

Thanks

karlywarly

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I have followed this tutorial and had a play around etc but from what i understand is that when a user is using windows that has a username and password to log into windows e.g alpha, then the account on freeNAS has to match windows when sharing the CIFS otherwise the private and public folders associated to the username alpha and also that group then you would still be denied access to these folders?

Is that correct? :confused:

Edit: I am currently using the latest freeNAS version 8.3.0 release x64 so i am pressuming nothing is different although this tutorial is for an older version?

Visseroth

Guru
no, nothing is different that i know in regards to permissions.

If a user does not have a username and password that matches your FreeNAS records they can use and username and password that matches the FreeNAS records if prompted for a login to get access to a folder that they would normally not have access to. However if their username and password matches the records on FreeNAS so there by they have already logged in then they will not be able to access other folders that they have not been granted the rights too.

Makes sense?

karlywarly

Dabbler
no, nothing is different that i know in regards to permissions.

If a user does not have a username and password that matches your FreeNAS records they can use and username and password that matches the FreeNAS records if prompted for a login to get access to a folder that they would normally not have access to. However if their username and password matches the records on FreeNAS so there by they have already logged in then they will not be able to access other folders that they have not been granted the rights too.

Makes sense?

The problem i have after experimenting with the permissions as in the tutorial is that i cannot seem to be able to log into the private folder with the given username alpha. I have added a password and still cannot log into the folder alpha or the alpha-beta folder for that matter and comes up with an error message "the specified network password is not correct" in windows so not sure what i have done wrong?

I originally had the guest permissions setup from following the section in the manual on configuring anonymous access to the windows CIFS and removed this prior to trying to configure more advanced permissions apart from the CIFS.

Stephens

Patron
I'd approach this differently and include all relevant users in a group which should have access to the common share and give that group ownership of the common dir.

karlywarly

Dabbler
I'd approach this differently and include all relevant users in a group which should have access to the common share and give that group ownership of the common dir.

What i was trying to achieve was 3 user accounts with passwords that could access all the CIFS that were common and allow each user to have their own folder where other users without permission could not access, view files etc basically like the tutorial.

When i am logging into FreeNAS via SSH, i am logging in with the root account?

I'm a bit confused that if i am logged in as root then am i supposed to do su and swap users to admin to be able to do the following?

su (enter Admin password)
chown alpha /mnt/storage/home/alpha
chown beta /mnt/storage/home/beta
chgrp commongrp /mnt/storage/home/alpha-beta
chmod 770 /mnt/storage/home/alpha-beta
chmod 700 /mnt/storage/home/alpha
chmod 700 /mnt/storage/home/beta

Status
Not open for further replies.