Sharing folder from private share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belfigor

Cadet
I have a private share with some data, where users work. Users need to share 1 folder from there private share to users from another department. Users from that department have special group. How can I let them access the special folder inside a private share of 1st department?

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilipS

Contributor
Should be as simple as adding the group "Modify" permissions to the folder they need access to through the windows folder security dialog. You also probably need to give the group Traverse Folder permissions on the parent folders too (This is in the Advanced, Change Permissions) dialog. In my setup like this, I have Traverse Folder, Read attributes, Read extended attributes, and Read permissions set on the parent folders.

Just so you know, the users still can't navigate through the parent folders, they need to access the share explicitly. I believe I would need to add List Folder permissions for them to navigate through, but I didn't want them to see the folder contents.

Belfigor

Cadet
And is there any way to let users access special folder inside private share without giving for them access to that share?

For now im doing so:
1) Creating a private SMB with FreeNAS Wizard. Fill it with subfolders and other content
2) Creating a SMB share with Sharing>Windows (SMB) Shares>Add Windows (SMB) Share, that points to the folder inside private share
3) Users can access it, but i cannot set permissions.
How i can set rights for users for such share that created in step 2? It is public, and i dont know how to set permissions :(

Another way that i tryed:
1) Creating a private SMB share with subfolders and other content with FreeNAS Wizard
2) Create a Dataset inside of a Dataset created in step 1
3) Create in a terminal, a symlink in a same folder with Dataset created in step 2 and same name as that dataset
4) So i have symlink that points to the special folder. In windows, i can access to that folder through that symlink, but users that not i an owner group doesnot see special folder inside symlink. They can create files and folders inside symlink, and see files and folders created by private share owners, but they dont see the special folder :(

PhilipS

Contributor

Belfigor

Cadet
From windows client i can delete users from access list, but i cannot add any user to it back even if that users was in access list eralyer. Windows just show me that it cannot find any user on the nas server

PhilipS

Contributor
Have you tried using {name of FreeNAS Server}\{User or group}? I use AD, so I'm not sure if I can help you much beyond that.

Belfigor

Cadet
Have you tried using {name of FreeNAS Server}\{User or group}? I use AD, so I'm not sure if I can help you much beyond that.
Yes, when i am trying to add group or user that i have on my freenas, i can see there:
All
root
my_group_name - that i set in Dataset

I can delete anything there, but i cannot add anything except group All. When i am trying for example add user "root", there is only message thet on my nas server user "root" does not found :(
Or i need to have this user localy on my windows machine?

PhilipS

Contributor
I just tested this on my home system that does not use active directory and I am able to add users that are setup on the FreeNAS system. The windows account I am logged in with is also setup on the FreeNAS with the same password. When I click "Check Names" it asks me for credentials and I enter the same credentials as the above account. That user account has a "Full Control" access control entry. I am able to add other users and groups that I have setup on FreeNAS, but not "root". Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.