SOLVED Set permission recursively not saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpitts74

Dabbler
Hi There,

I have just setup my first FreeNas, and setup a appleshare, but having problems with permissions. I've double and triple checked everything many times over the last few hours and I'm still having problems?? I'm able to access the share on my mac but I cannot write to it and when I try and create a folder the Mac asks me for my user password and then says I don't have permission to write there!!

Its been driving me mad!! I'm very sure that all is setup correctly, but I have just noticed that when I try and set permission recursively in the dataset permissions the tick box is not on when I go back into permmissions after ticking it previously Here is a video of what I mean
I feel like I must be doing something really stupid for this not to be working, Help

joeschmuck

Old Man
Nope, you're not crazy, that happens for everyone. Maybe it shouldn't be a check box and could be a radio button, eh, shouldn't matter really.

mattpitts74

Dabbler
So I cannot understand why I cannot write to the share, I set this up in exactly the same way when testing in a VM and it worked perfectly! I've done a video to show how I setup the share and permissions in case someone else can shed some light on it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I do not use Apple shares but how about when you set your permission, choose UNIX and check Other - Write (777) permissions. Does that help? I suspect you did something different in the VM.

Glorious1

Guru
As far as the recursive permissions, that is a one-time exercise. It is done after you choose that option and hit the change button. Any files you create after that may have different permissions. You can choose to recursively reset permissions again if you want. But that's not your problem.

That's a nice video you did. I can't say I see the problem. One probably minor one is that, when you created the dataset, it was set for Windows permissions. You could try redoing it with Mac permissions. Another issue is, when you tried to create a new folder in your music dataset, you used the name Matt Pitts instead of matt. My guess is there is another problem, but can't see what it is yet.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I noticed that as well, the "Matt Pitts" vs. "matt". If you open up the permissions with the 777 then I feel it will work. Not everyone like doing that but my system is closed so it's safe enough.

mattpitts74

Dabbler
I've just realised that I had FreeNas installed on a 2GB USB Stick, not sure if that has any bearing on anything, so I'm just about the reinstall on a bigger stick

joeschmuck

Old Man
You got it to run on a 2GB stick! Not bad but I wouldn't try any updates, you might not have enough room to do it. If that fixes it, please post it because I like to know.

Glorious1

Guru
I noticed that as well, the "Matt Pitts" vs. "matt". If you open up the permissions with the 777 then I feel it will work. Not everyone like doing that but my system is closed so it's safe enough.
Yes it might work and help diagnose the problem, but it shouldn't be necessary to stay 777. I access FreeNAS with my Mac over AFP and it works fine, even if I'm the only one with any permissions. Maybe the tiny boot drive is the culprit?

mattpitts74

Dabbler
I've just tried everything you guys suggested and still no access, so it must me to tiny boot drive and had also noticed some read and write errors in the monitor i've got plugged intot he the FreeNAS box, so just waiting for the cd to burn, and start over. hopefully i will be smiling shortly

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes it might work and help diagnose the problem, but it shouldn't be necessary to stay 777. I access FreeNAS with my Mac over AFP and it works fine, even if I'm the only one with any permissions. Maybe the tiny boot drive is the culprit?
I keep mine at 777 because it's just simple for me in a home environment but I'm sure if I were to need to I'd have no issues learning about permissions. Actually I was thinking about creating an Active Directory Server, or whatever it's called and then start using that. I'm 100% certain it will not be a walk in the park but it will give me something to do.

Glorious1

Guru
By the way matt, from your video it seemed pretty clear that you hadn't messed with your root dataset (the second, indented bigpool), but you should leave the default permissions and not share that one. That fouled me up when I started and gave similar permissions problems as you.

mattpitts74

Dabbler
Hi Guys, I reinstalled FreeNas on a 16GB USB stick and the install went smoothly.

but when I came to create the volume I got the following error 'Unable to GPT Format the disk ada1'

This was because the disks has already been formatted previously. I was also unable to wipe them from within the freeNAS GUI.

In the end I used GParted live http://gparted.org/livecd.php to recreate the partitions on my drives.

This has now solved the problems and I was able to create datasets and both windows and mac shares without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.