Permissions are kicking my butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyl

Explorer
Every time I think I have something setup right... I add something new, and its an entire new learning experience for me to set that up... I am just going to ramble on and layout all the problems I think I am having and hopefully ask a series of simple questions to fix my problem.

Background... My intention of building the below server was to off load everything I don't access everyday on my Mac to the FreeNAS, archive video editing projects, movies and music. On top of that I want to setup a lot of the plug ins that are being offered. And last I have a wife with a PC laptop that would like to upload all her crap and have access to my stuff when she needs it.

Setting up the share on my Mac was not easy (and most likely the root of all my problems), but getting some great assistance on the forums I was able to get that working... Basically setting the permissions right to my user name and gained access on my Mac. But when I did that my plugins stopped working, ie. Transmission- Permission Error. I somehow got that working by changing my permission back to root / wheel. SO ... I was also able to PC, Mac, and Transmission working... and then I copied a ton of files to my Media dataset root directory /mnt/NAS/Media/etc.... and now I can't move the files without getting an error... I don't have permission to move it on Windows 7, and a stupid error on the Mac. I am just getting frustrated.... Since I have only moved a 1.5 tb of stuff to my server, I am thinking of just reseting and starting new...

Simple question...

Since I am setup for the first time in my closed network... Can I "disable" permissions?

If I do disable permissions, can I setup a MineCraft Server, and a Web/Cloud server later?

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't think you can "disable" permissions. The closest thing to disabling is setting it so that it's writable to the world (777).
If you do so choose to go that way, you can certainly setup a server later. However, I would make sure that those servers are hosted in a separate jail and do NOT have the datasets where you "disabled" your permissions mounted. That way, if your server somehow gets compromised, they at least would not have any access to your world writable data.

Status
Not open for further replies.