Serviio 1.0.1 REQUEST $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpaytoncfd

Cadet
There has been a lot of talk about Serviio for awhile but it seems to have tapered off into failure or older versions. SO!, After Christmas, when I am not broke, I would really like to see this happen. I would even donate some money if someone was able to make progress. I use my fairly new FreeNAS 8.3 as a host for all my media. I have several XBMC settops and would really like to be able to remotely watch my movies like when I am on call or at families houses.

ProtoSD

MVP
FreeNAS needs to progress to version 9.x before I even consider more plugins. Serviio depends on a lot of packages that aren't up to date or being maintained in FreeBSD 8.0, which is what the plugin jail system uses. FFmpeg (the newest version which fixes some important bugs/problems) is one of those packages that doesn't get along well. Creating plugins is a HUGE pain in the ass, and since 8.x plugins won't be compatible with 9.x FreeNAS, its just not worth the headache at this point. So maybe after the beginning of the year when the developers decide to stop messing with 8.x code and get with the show, we'll have 9.1 and stop playing the game of trying to make FreeNAS versions catch up to FreeBSD versions. We can only hope....

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I have to disagree. The ports are not tied to a FreeBSD version in anyway. The FreeNAS build system uses a freezed version of ports for sanity sake, there is nothing that would stop anyone to build plugins using an up-to-date ports version. Please correct me if I am missing something.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This chat will be interesting! 2 very bright minds discussing plugins. I'm very curious to see how this conversation goes as both of you are very knowledgeable.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
WOW. No comments. I was really looking forward to this discussion. I'd love to use plugins but I always had this gut feeling(no solid info to backup my feeling) that if I got too attached to plugins I'll find myself in trouble when its time to upgrade FreeNAS and I have to upgrade the jail to make it work and my plugins won't work with the upgrade.

bigmarty

Cadet
I was able to get Serviio working with FreeNAS 8.3. I compiled everything in a plugin jail.
I installed 1.0.1 a month ago, and just upgraded to 1.1.

It was a huge pain to compile FFMpeg 0.11 and all the dependencies. You MUST use FFMpeg 0.11 or Serviio 1.x won't work. You also have to enable librtmp support for ffmpeg.
I think it took 2 days total to get it all working. I looked into creating a plugin, but gave up because it looked like too much work.

Search for the FreeBSD ffmpeg-011 port.
Search for the thread "Step by Step: create a Serviio - FreeNAS server" on the serviio.org forum. (Serviio Support & Help ‹ NAS installation)
I followed parts of this guide to get java installed.

Hope this helps!

fyver

Dabbler
I was able to get Serviio working with FreeNAS 8.3. I compiled everything in a plugin jail.
I installed 1.0.1 a month ago, and just upgraded to 1.1.

It was a huge pain to compile FFMpeg 0.11 and all the dependencies. You MUST use FFMpeg 0.11 or Serviio 1.x won't work. You also have to enable librtmp support for ffmpeg.
I think it took 2 days total to get it all working. I looked into creating a plugin, but gave up because it looked like too much work.

Search for the FreeBSD ffmpeg-011 port.
Search for the thread "Step by Step: create a Serviio - FreeNAS server" on the serviio.org forum. (Serviio Support & Help ‹ NAS installation)
I followed parts of this guide to get java installed.

Hope this helps!

Could you maybe look into it again? or maybe post a nice tutorial for it?(to save us the headache you experienced)

Status
Not open for further replies.