Server Case Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowvin

Explorer
Howdy folks!

This is my first post with tapatalk so I hope it's in the right category.

After 2.5 years of solid use I'm ready to upgrade the storage of my main array of 6X2TB WD reds.

I'm looking for suggestions on a server case. My budget for a case is max 300, and ideally 12 hotswap bays with a 19" width.

I've been scouring the web for 3-4 weeks now on my free time I'm trying to find a case I wouldn't immediately regret. I had to completely rebuild my server slot, drywall and all, to fit my last 19" mistake. So now, or so it seems, I'm sticking with the 19" rack.

Current Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152109

I'm considering getting this case:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9CXGSO/?tag=ozlp-20

Problem is it's a 16" width. Someone mentioned I could get spacers, but I'm not having any luck finding some that fit.

I went through several other posts seeing if someone had a similar question. If this ends up being a double post I would <3 a link to the other.

Sent from my S6 using Tapatalk

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You realize, I trust, that when people say "nineteen inch" in reference to racks, they mean the ear-edge-to-ear-edge width. The gear is always less than 19" wide, since the space between the rails is typically more like 17.75". Our narrowest bit of rack gear is like 6" wide - it just has ears that are much longer than "usual."

The only other common size is 23", for which spacers would be readily available if needed. That sort of gear is typically used in the telecommunications world.

Krowvin

Explorer
Thank you for the reply @jgreco,

I see it written as both on occasion. When I ordered the server rack I did end up measuring hole to hole.

I'm a hobbyist, and I don't do this for a living. Being an electrical engineering student very few of my colleagues, at the moment, have any knowledge on the subject. It helps to know the jargon when you're bashing around Google/forums for the answer.

The link I posted for the case i'm looking at lists the dimensions as
7.00" x 25.00" x 16.80" including panel
Being a whopping 2.2" smaller I figured it was a 16" standard, where "including panel" would mean ear to ear.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I figured it was a 16" standard, where "including panel" would mean ear to ear.

Naw. Google "16 rack" and show me such a thing. Guessing maybe they mean the front door. Though that'd be stupid since there's handles too.

JDCynical

Contributor
One of the reviews on the amazon page is titled:

"Fits in a LACK rack"

From the eth-0 Lack Rack wiki page:

Summary
The LackRack was first seen on eth0:2010 Winterlan in the no-shoe Lounge area. Its low-cost and perfect fit are great for mounting up to 8 U of 19" hardware, such as switches (see below), or perhaps other 19" gear

I think you will be fine as far as width goes. The vertical height might be a slight issue as if this one is anything like the one I have (RSV-4000), the tops of the handles stick up a slight bit above the top of the chassis body, making it impossible to slide anything immediately above it.

Also, I believe that the hot swap bays on that one are basically the case I have with a bunch of the 4 drives in 3 half height slot units already added to it. Not that they are trash or anything (I have one in each of my vmware hosts on my rack), but they are mostly plastic in construction.

Last edited:

Yatti420

Wizard
If you can live without hot swap bays.. RSV-L4500 will do 15 drives..

Krowvin

Explorer
AH, I see what you mean @jgreco. I didn't want to make a mistake in measurements and end up paying for my lack of research with return shipping costs.

Figured someone in the FreeNAS forums made a similar purchase.

@Yatti420 I'm thinking I will go with the cheaper option. I haven't had to remove any of the drives from my current server... knock on wood.

Yatti420

Wizard
The rosewills are cheaper etc just keep that in mind..

Status
Not open for further replies.