SERIOUS HELP- iSCSI Target Not Connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm , ok, running for 2 years, through power outages and what not, i perform a simple restart of the hardware and all hell breaks loose? FreeNAS = Unstable?

Mlovelace

Guru
Hm , ok, running for 2 years, through power outages and what not, i perform a simple restart of the hardware and all hell breaks loose? FreeNAS = Unstable?
Hard drive failures happen, freeBSD is one of the most stable operating systems available. Have you been performing smart tests on your hard drives? Did you set up email notifications on your system so you would be alerted to hardware issues?

rvassar

Guru

No. You set up a RAID configuration that can only accommodate a single drive failure, and you chose to operate without SMART reporting & notifications enabled. So your one drive failed at some point in the past, and a second one failed to come back up after your recent restart. That's all on you, not FreeNAS.

Things you can try:

If drives are hot swap, look in the logs and see which one was most recently participating in the pool. Reseat it. If that fails, pull it and do a couple quick 90 degree snaps of your wrist, to get the platters to move. If the spindle bearing are stuck it may knock them free.

That will likely only work once. If it comes back up, you need to get that other failed drive replaced ASAP.

No troll, its just you reach out to a community, trying to trust it, and all people do is rise up in bully standards trying to over power with their knowledge to make the other person feel insignificant.

But that's ok. Now I Learned about this community and I will with every last breath deter everyone from FreeNAS and this board. And I do hope a moderator sees this.

rvassar

Guru
No troll, its just you reach out to a community, trying to trust it, and all people do is rise up in bully standards trying to over power with their knowledge to make the other person feel insignificant.

But that's ok. Now I Learned about this community and I will with every last breath deter everyone from FreeNAS and this board. And I do hope a moderator sees this.

I'll go ahead and tag a moderator. As a recent arrival here with 20+ years experience, @Ericloewe has actually been quite quick to point out my mistakes here, but he's also been quite fair. So I will leave it to him and his peers to decide if I've violated community standards here, and accept his admonishment should he deem it necessary.

You have two choices:

1. Find a way to get the last failed disk working again. This may involve expensive off site data recovery, or sticking it in your refrigerator for a couple hours, or the previous suggestions I offered. I can't really say. But it's dead, and you need what's on it.

2. Replace the disks and restore from a backup.

That's where you're at. None of us can overcome those hurdles for you by typing on our keyboards.

I'll add: You're clearly under a great deal of stress. The circumstances of this failure, while predictable, are unusual enough that we're having trouble understanding how a professional got in this state. When you're ready to learn from your mistakes, we'll be here, at our usual bill rate, free.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
<Moderator hat>
I feel the need to point out that everyone replying to this thread has acted appropriately and tried to help. In fact, the immediate problem has been identified (two disks are inaccessible and the pool is RAIDZ1).

You cannot expect to ask for help and not be told where you went wrong. In this case, particularly, it could've been easily avoided. Can it be easily recovered? That's uncertain. You need at least one of the disks to work. "It makes the drive bay light green" falls far short from what is needed, but gives you clues as to what is actually wrong. There are guides on the forum and elsewhere that would help you with this process and I'll let someone who is not on mobile link them in.

Blaming it on FreeNAS or its community is immature and wrong. Hardware failures, particularly disk failures, are commonplace. Allan Jude's phrase "Your disks are plotting against you" is not a children's fairy tale, but a tongue-in-cheek statement about the unreliability of storage media.

Please do show this thread to anyone who's thinking of coming to the forums. It has a number of users being helpful and trying to work with you to get this solved.

We understand that you're in a stressful situation and having a hard time. Therefore I'm going to politely ask you to take a step back, maybe have a colleague go through the thread with you, and take its advice to heart. We all have tough moments that can cloud our judgement.
</moderator hat>

By the way, don't go violently moving drives until you're absolutely certain that they are dead and you need a miracle.

kdragon75

Wizard
im just asking questions because we are very unfamiliar to troubleshoot FreeNAS
Why on Earth would you have you clients depend on something that you are unable to support!
If I use SSH, what port do I use?
I think you need to get out of the IT support business...
restart and shut down would cause such malfunction.
Not a lot of experience with hard drive, huh?
I would not mind you jumping on my system remotely taking a look. I Just need to know if my data is there.
If this is supporting nursing homes and contains any health information we would need a business association agreement as to not violate HIPPA...
Again, thing tend to fail in state changes. This could be as simple as a power cycle. You clearly have no understanding of FreeNAS or ZFS and you think you can make proclamations of instability? You lake of correct configuration could be why your in this position.
Now I Learned about this community
To be honest, we're much nicer to home users as we don't like when people make FreeNAS look bad because they couldn't do some research on an obvious error message. You get paid to do a job and know what your doing. When you don't, you make all of us look bad.

Yeah this was a less than friendly post but this kind of reckless IT support is what makes IT people look like hacks as a whole. If your going to offer professional services, be a professional with the products you offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.