Separate Linux container?

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Just to chime in on this - TrueNAS Scale looks great for my use case

Currently running Core with an Ubuntu Server VM which has docker running on it with portainer managing that docker instance, absolutely love docker and portainer. I have all of my groups of containers running in individual stacks (ie composes), makes it super nice to manage.

One of the things stopping me moving to Scale is the docker implementation (or maybe my lack of understanding). It would be great if I could simply migrate my entire docker environment from my VM to Scale and continue managing it using portainer. But from what I have seen online that isnt possible? Or at least not supported?

Again this might be a lack of understanding, but an option to run vanilla docker instead of the current kubernetes implementation would make this possible?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It would be great if I could simply migrate my entire docker environment from my VM to Scale and continue managing it using portainer. But from what I have seen online that isnt possible? Or at least not supported?

Again this might be a lack of understanding, but an option to run vanilla docker instead of the current kubernetes implementation would make this possible?
If you read my previous post, I just outlined a way to do exactly that. You only need one TrueCharts app and the rest can be via portainer.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
If you read my previous post, I just outlined a way to do exactly that. You only need one TrueCharts app and the rest can be via portainer.
Once again I find myself needing to go to the opticians

Ill have a crack at a test environment in a VM, cheers

MountainMan

Dabbler
I was also interested in a clean Docker w/ Compose shell environment that would be remotely accessible and safe between TrueNAS updates. I ended up going a similar but different route.

Basically I'm running the official Docker image (actually the Docker-in-Docker "dind" tag) via the "Launch Docker Image" button which ends up creating a separate working Docker server instance. I gave it some external network interfaces, a dataset to persist /var/lib/docker, and additional ZFS datasets for my container storage, media, etc.

Then I created a custom Docker image, starting with the Ubuntu 22 image, and adding SSHD and all the tools I want (Docker cli, compose, vim, htop, dry, etc..) to run as a container on that Docker instance -- passing its socket in for things to use. So then I just SSH into that container and have a shell and all the tools I want working against that isolated Docker instance. So far that's been working great for me. I've added Portainer, NGINX, dns-robocert, and about a dozen other containers without any trouble. In the Scale UI there is just my one "docker" App but accessing that instance through my SSHD/shell container basically feels like a separate Docker host but with access to whatever ZFS filesystems are passed through.

Just a thought if you're wanting more than just Portainer to manage Docker.

Jip-Hop

Contributor
Another option not discussed in this thread, is to use systemd-nspawn (it's like LXC but already available on SCALE). In this 'jail' you can install the tools you like using apt-get and even run docker (with Portainer if you like) with better performance than with Docker in k3s. I made a feature request for GUI integration. Please vote for it if interested.

artlessknave

Wizard
there is a docker container for youtube-dl and also one for (iirc) youtubedl-material, which presents a GUI

iptoux

Cadet
there is a docker container for youtube-dl and also one for (iirc) youtubedl-material, which presents a GUI
I tried booth, not working, all of that youtub suf not working. Metub had an ffmeg error, youtubedl-material dont work (nothing shown on webpage)

Ended up on setting up unraid and installed app there, working perfect in first usage (me-tube, youtube-material). I don't know why, but with many, many apps are problems, qbittorent also not working (default password (adminadmin) not accepted, and so on.

Yes, main apps, like nextcloud, traefik working, but when it comes to some special thinks your are alone, because of no documentation and so on. I can't and don't want to see the default "no info here for you" documentation when you click the link from an app in the app catalog, anymore.

Example? Try to install "poste" (mailserver-app) from truecharts in combination with traefik or alone, it won't work, i always got an 404 or to many redirects, i havetested it now 3 day's and yea, no alternative app there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Try to install "poste" (mailserver-app) from truecharts
I'm not sure what any of your rant is about (surely it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread), but you realize this app is in the incubator train, right? That means it's not expected to be production-ready. It is, in essence, beta software.

Whattteva

Wizard
I'm not sure what any of your rant is about (surely it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread), but you realize this app is in the incubator train, right? That means it's not expected to be production-ready. It is, in essence, beta software.
It's beta indeed. Even TrueCommand didn't work for me, lol. It installed fine and even let me create an account and login once. But that's it. It refuses to let me login anymore. It only let me in once! I had to do a proper install in a Debian VM for it to actually work properly.

Also, I wish TrueCommand is available on FreeBSD or they at least provide manual steps on deploying it on FreeBSD, cause I hate Linux.

truecharts

Guru
I tried booth, not working, all of that youtub suf not working. Metub had an ffmeg error, youtubedl-material dont work (nothing shown on webpage)

Ended up on setting up unraid and installed app there, working perfect in first usage (me-tube, youtube-material). I don't know why, but with many, many apps are problems, qbittorent also not working (default password (adminadmin) not accepted, and so on.

Yes, main apps, like nextcloud, traefik working, but when it comes to some special thinks your are alone, because of no documentation and so on. I can't and don't want to see the default "no info here for you" documentation when you click the link from an app in the app catalog, anymore.

Example? Try to install "poste" (mailserver-app) from truecharts in combination with traefik or alone, it won't work, i always got an 404 or to many redirects, i havetested it now 3 day's and yea, no alternative app there.

Many of the Apps listed are in our "Incubator" train, which is somewhere between "Alpha", "Beta" and "RC". None of the Apps in it are guaranteed (or even expected) to work (flowlessly).

We also don't offer any email App in the "stable" train for good reasons, if we ever do it would be in our Enterprise train with increased support, as it has pretty high reliability requirements.

When it comes to "some special things" you're not alone, we've a whole team of support staff available on our Discord to help out.

In terms of documentation: We're a community project, lots of apps have gotten dedicated documentation pages last year.

However, our main installation process is the same for a all of our Apps, so those are not separately documented. Still: We can always use more documentation, we don't have paid zombies writhing documentation for us, that needs to be made by-hand for each of the 830+ Apps.

It's beta indeed. Even TrueCommand didn't work for me, lol. It installed fine and even let me create an account and login once. But that's it. It refuses to let me login anymore. It only let me in once! I had to do a proper install in a Debian VM for it to actually work properly.

Also, I wish TrueCommand is available on FreeBSD or they at least provide manual steps on deploying it on FreeBSD, cause I hate Linux.

Our TrueCommand app is in the Stable train and is not considered "beta", if you run into any issues please file a ticket with our support staff on Discord. That's the only way to reach our staff and have us help-out.

artlessknave

Wizard
Ended up on setting up unraid and installed app there, working perfect in first usage (me-tube, youtube-material).
yes, because unRAID is a paid product. TrueNAS on non IX hardware is free, SCALE is not enterprise ready, and TrueNAS tends to be like driving stick. you have more control, but that means you have to take control.

if you want what unRAID offers, you might want to just consider unRAID.

cause I hate Linux.
curious: why?

Whattteva

Wizard
curious: why?
Few reasons:

1. Linux tends to constantly try to reinvent the wheel and "improve" things that aren't broken and while I don't mind that on the desktop, it's super annoying to my servers, not just from a stability standpoint, but also from an administrative standpoint. With FreeBSD, I don't have to constantly relearn new ways of doing the same old crap every few years.

2. FreeBSD has a clear separation of base and third party hierarchy system. It's far more sane and makes it trivial to restart from an "empty slate" when you're on FreeBSD.... good luck trying to do that on Linux.

3. ZFS is and will always be native to FreeBSD and never Linux due to licensing issues. A few Linux distros are currently treading the thin line including it natively, but they're really banking on Oracle not going at them for it. For this reason, Linus Torvalds himself stated explicitly that, unless he gets a signed letter from Oracle's CEO, it's never going to be in the kernel.

TL;DR: Linux is fine for a desktop system, but for my servers and even on my older desktops that don't need the new shiny drivers, I prefer the much simpler, but elegant FreeBSD.

artlessknave

Wizard
fair points.

TL;DR: Linux is fine for a desktop system, but for my servers and even on my older desktops that don't need the new shiny drivers, I prefer the much simpler, but elegant FreeBSD.
so you use the best tool for the job, which you believe is freeBSD for servers. that makes more sense. is that "hate"?
curiosity is satisfied.

Whattteva

Wizard
fair points.

so you use the best tool for the job, which you believe is freeBSD for servers. that makes more sense. is that "hate"?
curiosity is satisfied.
Haha, yeap, that about sums it up. I suppose hate is too strong of a word.