Seeking HW Advice for new Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirkR

Cadet
Hi Everybody,

I've finally come to the point where I want to replace my aging desktop that doubles as a file and other server with something small and dedicated that provides more storage while using less power and generating less heat, so naturally I've come to looking at FreeNAS. ;)

Here's what I would like to do: have a (physically and power) small system that can handle 4 3T discs running in Raid-Z1. Use cases are backup/sync server for home directories (based on unison and crashplan (Java)), streaming media to the (soon to be working ;) HTPC and running some other long-running services like torrents and other Java-based stuff. I'm not totally opposed to building my own machine, but I would prefer to buy something off the shelf even if that means spending a little more. I've been looking at something like an HP ProLiant N40L.

So my questions are:

1) Is the above setup doable with FreeNas? Unison needs ssh access, which I assume I can do in the main system or a jail, which would also serve the other services I'm interested in.
2) Is an HP MicroServer powerful enough to do these things at a reasonable speed? All of the services are not too heavy-weight, but they're not a walk in the park either, as they pretty much all involve some crypto math. Does anybody have experiences (good or bad) with running these machines? Is a Gen8 a better choice? They're a bit more expensive, but I'd spend some money than have something that doesn't work.
3) Are there alternative hardware providers that do similar things? Googling MicroServer didn't get me very far...

Any other input welcome.

Thanks!

Dirk

Status
Not open for further replies.