Seeking Guidance on TrueNAS Snapshot Replication

moxxa

Cadet
Hello TrueNAS Community,

I hope you're all doing well and that you've been enjoying the valuable insights shared on these forums. I've benefited immensely from your collective wisdom while setting up two new storage nodes for our datacenter. Everything has been going quite smoothly, but now I'm facing a puzzle I can't quite solve.

Let me start from the beginning:

Recently, I deployed TrueNAS Core as a backup repository in our datacenter, a decision influenced by the fantastic discussions and advice I found in this community. TrueNAS Core seemed like the perfect match for our needs.

Impressed with the performance and overall functionality, I decided to introduce a second TrueNAS Core Node in our secondary datacenter. The plan was to set up daily snapshots on the original datacenter node and replicate them to the secondary datacenter. The catch here is that we want to maintain 20+ snapshots of the original datacenter on the secondary node, with older ones automatically overwritten once the retention period is met. It's worth noting that the new destination node has significantly more storage space than the source.

After reading through the guides, I opted for a PULL approach. I set up a Periodic Snapshot Task on the source and a PULL replication task on the destination. This was the only way I could find to configure a retention policy for the replicated snapshots. The source snapshots are set to delete themselves after being replicated (in this case, the source snapshots are set to delete after 5 hours, but they are deleted once replication is complete).

I've also set up alerting and observed that alert emails are sent only when the task fails, which is working as expected. I can see the amount of used storage on the destination gradually increasing, indicating that the replication is functioning.

Now, here's my query: Is there a specific area in the GUI where I should be able to view a list of available or replicated snapshots? I expected to find them listed under the destination pool or the snapshot section, but it seems like the snapshot section only shows snapshots if the destination storage was snapshotted, rather than displaying the list of replicated snapshots.

So, to cut to the chase, I'm wondering how I can view these replicated snapshots. Should they be visible in the GUI, or is there a way to access them on the file system? When I browse to the pool from within the shell, it appears to have nothing inside it, but a considerable amount of space is being consumed. I want to be able to verify that the replication is working as intended and, equally important, be able to test mount and perform test restores.

I know this is a rather lengthy question, but I'm hoping that someone can guide me on how to view and manage these replicated snapshots effectively. If anyone has experience with a similar setup or knows where to locate these snapshots, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you all for your continued support, and I look forward to learning from the TrueNAS community.

Best regards,
Moxxa