Second (multiple) iSCSI connection from the same ESXi host to the same FreeNAS, problem

petreza

Cadet
Plan to upgrade to TrueNAS soon. For iSCSI, I guess, this should make no difference.

Wasted several hours trying to establish a second iSCSI connection from the same ESXi host to a new ZVOL (zvol2) hosted by the same FreeNAS 11.3 server for my homelab.The Authentication method is Mutual CHAP which works fine for the first ZVOL (zvol1).

On Freenas I did:
- create zvol2
- Portals: created new (#2) with: Mutual CHAP, same Discovery Auth Group as zvol1, same IP, port: 3261 (zvol1 is 3260)
- Initiators: no change - I am connecting from the same ESXi
- Extents: created new, has different serial, uncheck "Enable TPC" - same as zvol1, check "Enabled"
- Targets: crated new, has the new Portal Group ID, Same Initiator, Mutual CHAP, same "Authentication Group Number"
- Associated Targets: made the proper association, has new LUN ID - 1 (zvol1 is 0)
- Authorized Access: no change - am reusing the same Group ID and credentials

On ESXi I did:
- go under the same iSCSI Software Adapter
- try to add "iSCSI Server" under both "Dynamic Discovery" and "Static Discovery" - both did not work.
- I was careful to enter the proper target name "iqn......:target_name" and to use the right port - 3261
- with Static the Targets column increases from 1 to 2 but no new Devices or Paths show up

I assume the problem is with the ESXi configuration because when I remove all Authentication Settings for zvol2, I am able to connect from Windows 10 with Authentication as NONE - the drive shows up under "Manage"
(Mutual CHAP did not work under Windows - it complained that the password was not the right size)

Also, I went to an ESXi2 that has never had an iSCSI connection and was NOT able to connect with either NONE or Mutual CHAP (here I did add a second Initiator, and made the other necessary changes)

Am I missing something?

If it helps:
nc -z IP 3260
connects
nc -z IP 3261
gets stuck