Seagate IronWolf 2TB vs WD Red 2TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stux

MVP
I agree. My drives are still in the burn-in process, I should be done when I hit 43,800 hours, only 2,848 hours to go.

Sounds like they're about to hit the burn-out phase ;).

Early refreshment before failure is a thing to.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sounds like they're about to hit the burn-out phase ;).
Possibly but with my luck they will last another year.

Early refreshment before failure is a thing to.
I feel being prepared to handle a failure is better than early replacement otherwise you're leaving money on the table.

I have two 2TB drives that I've had for a while now and did a badblocks on both for which they passed a few months ago. Once I have a failure I will plop in one of those drives and then start contemplating how I want to design my next pool to replace my current one. I do not need to increase the capacity and I'm thinking about reducing the number of hard drives total, I might even drop down to a three drive mirror of 8TB drives but I'm looking to reduce to no more than 4 hard drives. I won't know for certain until I get there to be honest. But I will burn-in my new drives for a few days before creating a pool.:cool:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Would that be running badblocks for 41 days straight? Dang, that is a long time however I do see merit in it.

Continuous runs of badblocks isn't really a good burn-in tool. System burn-in is better handled as a series of different tests, not all of which necessarily need to be pounding (or even accessing) the drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.