3TB was showing as 3TB now only reporting 2TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihulk

Cadet
I just bought 3 brand new 3tb WD Green drives to build my very first NAS.

First boot up of FreeNAS showed the disks as 3tb each, I tried to make a ZFS volume and kept getting CRC errors and all sorts of nonsense.

The motherboard I was using was pretty crap and I think the sata controller on it was being silly. So I replaced it with another motherboard, booted up FreeNAS and it reported that 1 of my 3tb drives was 2tb. Odd.

So I rebooted, now all 3 drives are showing as 2tb, even in the bios.

What the hell? What can I do to check these disks are still actually 3tb and restore them?
They are brand new drives and I would really hate to have to paper weight them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I just had the same problem with two out of three WD Red 3 TB drives I bought. I returned them to Amazon and they replaced them with new. What's the output of smartctl -a on one of the drives?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just bought 3 brand new 3tb WD Green drives to build my very first NAS.

First boot up of FreeNAS showed the disks as 3tb each, I tried to make a ZFS volume and kept getting CRC errors and all sorts of nonsense.

The motherboard I was using was pretty crap and I think the sata controller on it was being silly. So I replaced it with another motherboard, booted up FreeNAS and it reported that 1 of my 3tb drives was 2tb. Odd.

So I rebooted, now all 3 drives are showing as 2tb, even in the bios.

What the hell? What can I do to check these disks are still actually 3tb and restore them?
They are brand new drives and I would really hate to have to paper weight them.

This seems to be a common issue with WD 5400 RPM drives lately. Grab as much information (S.M.A.R.T. data, etc.) and RMA them.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd like to know as well what smartctl -a returns for each drive.

@ihulk, not sure you know how to do this, let us know if you don't.

ihulk

Cadet
Bugger

I was hoping to avoid having to RMA them.

When I get a chance, I'll run smartctl -a on them.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's several people that have had this problem in this forum as well as on Amazon. I can only think that something weird is going on at WD right now.

Yatti420

Wizard
I had to many issues with WD.. It's why I run seagates for a main big pool.. I will probably re-mirror some greens I have when I get a larger case..

ihulk

Cadet
I've never had any issues with WD for the last 8 years, but this is just insane.

ihulk

Cadet
Fixed.

Turns out something on the motherboards I was using was enabling HPA on the disks and turning them into 2TB drives because GPT wasn't actually supported by the boards. The first boot was tricking me, and then upon reboot they were registering as 2TB.

Anyway, disabled HPA and rebooted and wala gdisk on them all and it corrected all the tables and partitions and now all three drives reading 3TB on a brand new motherboard that supports GPT drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.